Some Books that Aren't in the Public Domain (and why)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Sorry Katherine - but they aren't all :( . The great majority are but there area few that are not - you need to check the Bibrec tab.

Anne
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Oh, thank you, Anne! :oops: I am looking at a Bibrec tab right now -- am I looking for where it says copyright status? If it says Public Domain in the USA, then it is ok? :D (This is definitely a good thing to learn!)
Kathrine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes - there really aren't many - and I'm trying to remember an example , but some writers have given PG their books - , I think mainly sort of "save the world" type that the author wants to be available to everyone to read
But they are ones that people have attempted to read for us (and I suppose there may be others I've never come accross )

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Actually, no. Gutenberg has some books that are in copyright - albeit very few. Here is one example: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7849

On the main book page, go to the "bibrec" tab. There it will say whether the book is PD in the USA.

EDIT: Ah - the dreaded "this thread goes to the next page" malady caught me!
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
RDHaas

Post by RDHaas »

Is this book in US public domain: https://archive.org/details/prolegomenatostu00harr

It was published in England in 1908, and internet archive states that edition has no evidence of copyright stated in its opening pages and is thus not in copyright. Is that the same as PD?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes - as long as you read the scanned copy shown . Strictly speaking it isn't Archive saying it is PD , it's the person who uploaded it, but when the scanned book was a clear 1922 or earlier date , it is fine.

Anne
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Hi, I´d want to know if i can record this book in a next project (if it would be possible)
Orgullo y prejuicio de Jane Austen in this edition of 1924

http://bdh.bne.es/bnesearch/CompleteSearch.do;jsessionid=F69331AD18A67DB9E6F38C6A7C54875F?languageView=es&field=todos&text=jane+austen&showYearItems=&exact=on&textH=&advanced=false&completeText=&pageSize=1&pageSizeAbrv=30&pageNumber=3

I know that books in Pd in USA must be published before 1923 and the restriction of 95 years if not, but i want to know if recording it from Argentina i am able to avoid that rule or not. Or Shouild i have to wait until 2019? In Argentina and spain I think this book is PD.
The translator is J. de Urries y Azara and he died in 1932, so he is no longer protected here in Argentina (+70) after death
One book to rule them all and in the Public Domain bind them
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

In order for LibriVox to accept it, it must be PD in the USA. Due to convoluted copyright rules for works published outside the USA, we only accept non-US works published after 1922 that are cleared by Project Gutenberg.

This one is definitely not PD in the USA anyway (1923 through 1977, Solely published abroad, without compliance with US formalities or republication in the US, and not in the public domain in its home country as of 1 January 1996), so we couldn't use it even without our cautious policy. :( It'll be PD in the USA on January 1, 2020.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Thx for your answer Tricia. No problem, I really have a lot of material to record until 2020! But on January 1st of 2020 I´ll be reading this, starting at 00:01 am lol
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Hey Is possible to get access to this book?
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89099774093
Is a book af tales of Mark Twain, the translator died in 1946 so i wonder that is the reason of the restriction to the full view but I´d like to know if i can record from Argentina where the rule is 70+ from the death of the author. Thanks a lot
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Looks like everyone missed your last post.
As an Argentine resident you can record any books on the 1st of January the year after the author had been dead 70 years.
However LV can not host them - we have to stick to the USA rules - which are" published before 1923 "
Some of our EU people have establish a site in Europe where they accept books which are PD in Europe (and Argentina and any other counties working on death plus 70 or less years called Legamus - you could have a look there :D

Anne
MillionMoments

Post by MillionMoments »

So as an EU resident, can I not record any works by Edit M Patch who died in 1954 until 2024? I was going to do some of her pre-1922 work for the short non-fiction collection but realised that might not be possible now!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

MillionMoments wrote:So as an EU resident, can I not record any works by Edit M Patch who died in 1954 until 2024? I was going to do some of her pre-1922 work for the short non-fiction collection but realised that might not be possible now!
Actually, January 1, 2025. The copyright term ends at 11:59:59 on December 31st of the 70th year.

Stinks, doesn't it?
MillionMoments

Post by MillionMoments »

TriciaG wrote:
MillionMoments wrote:So as an EU resident, can I not record any works by Edit M Patch who died in 1954 until 2024? I was going to do some of her pre-1922 work for the short non-fiction collection but realised that might not be possible now!
Actually, January 1, 2025. The copyright term ends at 11:59:59 on December 31st of the 70th year.

Stinks, doesn't it?
It is a real shame, because she was a great scientist and deserves more recognition which I was hoping to achieve with some Librivox recordings. I will hunt out other female scientists, Anna Botsford Comstock died in 1930 so there is somewhere I can start!

(I actually am a dual US national, but assume my location is what matters not my nationality!)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, exactly. If you come to the States on a visit, you can record her then. :)