Some Books that Aren't in the Public Domain (and why)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
MillionMoments

Post by MillionMoments »

So I noticed something published by the USDA on librivox, are USDA publications public domain and is that in all countries? Because if so I really want to record "The Spontaneous Combustion of Hay" and some other crazy technical bulletins I have found :)

https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/CAT86200135/PDF
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Hey ! I´d like to know if it p0ossible to record just a part of a book (a tale in this case) and not the rest of teh book as i dont mind that content. Is the Happy Prince of Wilde and i cant get another PD translation . It was translated and p0ublished in this book for teachers in 1909 in Argentina
Hola! Quisiera saber si se puede leer tan solo un cuento de un libro que trae otro contenido que no me interesa grabar, tan solo la traducción de este cuento que no encuentro de otra fuente en Dominio Público. Es el Principe Feliz de Oscar Wilde que es uno de mis cuentos preferidos. Figura traducido en un libro para maestros que se repartía en las escuelas argentinas en 1909 http://www.bnm.me.gov.ar/ebooks/reader/reader.php?dir=00150826&num_img=00150826_0123-00&mon=1&vn=s&vi=s&vt=n&vp=s&vv=s&vh=s&c=&zoom=100&modo=
One book to rule them all and in the Public Domain bind them
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

phileasfogg wrote:Hey ! I´d like to know if it p0ossible to record just a part of a book (a tale in this case) and not the rest of teh book as i dont mind that content. Is the Happy Prince of Wilde and i cant get another PD translation . It was translated and p0ublished in this book for teachers in 1909 in Argentina
Hola! Quisiera saber si se puede leer tan solo un cuento de un libro que trae otro contenido que no me interesa grabar, tan solo la traducción de este cuento que no encuentro de otra fuente en Dominio Público. Es el Principe Feliz de Oscar Wilde que es uno de mis cuentos preferidos. Figura traducido en un libro para maestros que se repartía en las escuelas argentinas en 1909 http://www.bnm.me.gov.ar/ebooks/reader/reader.php?dir=00150826&num_img=00150826_0123-00&mon=1&vn=s&vi=s&vt=n&vp=s&vv=s&vh=s&c=&zoom=100&modo=
That text is OK to record for LV.

My only concern is not about the text, but where to put it. I don't know how long it is, but short works (60 minutes or less, one file) usually go into a short works collection rather than have them as a separate project. But I think that we currently don't have any multilingual collections. :hmm:
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Thxs for your answer Tricia, If i get other tales of Wilde in public Domain even that they were in different sources, can i make a project named for example Selection of tales of Oscar Wilde or if i can not get more of wilde, add some other`s short texts of other authors and th title could be Selection of tales of Wilde and others authors?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, you could do that. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oops. I was wrong. There apparently IS a multilingual collection. The current one is here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=65168

So you could put the one story in there, if you want.
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Hey Tricia you are a goddess, just one more question, can i use the same recording in more than one project? I mean if i post in that project can i also use the recording in a project i was planning linking that text of Wilde with another fairy tales of Andersen, Hoffman and Dickens?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No , you have to read it again, which seems a bit odd. We have had people who read say an extract or short story in a collection, then decide to read the whole book but that's a bit different . But the rule is the same actual recording can not appear twice

Anne
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Thx Anne, then I´ll going to post a tale of Andersen for the multilingual projext and save the Happy Prince for other project.
Rinnakim04

Post by Rinnakim04 »

Is Luisa May Alcott's books in the public domain??? I'm not quite sure... Eight Cousins was first published in 1875, but Puffin Books published it in 1989, and reissued it in 1995. Which should I go by???

quite puzzled :hmm: ,

Rinna
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Rinnakim04 wrote:Is Luisa May Alcott's books in the public domain??? I'm not quite sure... Eight Cousins was first published in 1875, but Puffin Books published it in 1989, and reissued it in 1995. Which should I go by???

quite puzzled :hmm: ,

Rinna
Don't use the Puffin Books version. We don't know if they've changed anything or not, that might trigger a new copyright. This one is clearly PD.

BTW, we have 2 versions of this in the catalog. That doesn't mean you can't do your own version, but some readers don't like to duplicate work that is already done. :)
Rinnakim04

Post by Rinnakim04 »

Thanks a lot!!! :thumbs:
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Hello, i found this book from teh National Library of Chile
http://www.memoriachilena.cl/602/w3-article-9315.html
In that page they say that material is free of copyright property and could be used for anyone freely
It can be used as a valid source?
I paste the explanation of that kind of material (in spanish unfortunately) Este documento pertenece al patrimonio cultural común, por lo que puede ser utilizado y reproducido libremente
Objetos digitales:
Todos los documentos, imágenes y archivos audiovisuales digitalizados que forman parte de la colección de Memoria Chilena se rigen por la Ley N° 17.336 sobre Propiedad Intelectual. De acuerdo con esto, se pueden identificar los siguientes casos:

1.- Objetos digitales que forman parte del Patrimonio Cultural Común:

En Memoria Chilena se pueden encontrar obras de gran valor patrimonial que forman parte del Patrimonio Cultural Común. Tales creaciones, pueden ser utilizadas por cualquiera, siempre que se respete la paternidad y la integridad de la obra.
En tal sentido, la Ley mencionada señala que este patrimonio se compone por:
a) Las obras cuyo plazo de protección se haya extinguido;
b) La obra de autor desconocido, incluyéndose las canciones, leyendas, danzas y las expresiones del acervo folklórico;
c) Las obras cuyos titulares renunciaron a la protección que otorga esta ley;
d) Las obras de autores extranjeros, domiciliados en el exterior, que no estén protegidos en la forma establecida en el artículo 2° de la Ley N° 17.336;
e) Las obras que fueren expropiadas por el Estado, salvo que la ley especifique un beneficiario.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hi, Victor! I saw another admin browsing this forum earlier, and thought she might answer your question.

The "public domain" statement given on that file would apply to Chile, but not to the US. It would need extensive research to determine if it was also PD in the USA. Even Project Gutenberg doesn't usually work on post-1922 works that were published outside the USA, so I don't think we can use them as a resource.

So my gut feeling on this one is "no." :(
Cori

Post by Cori »

Heh, if that was me browsing, I don't know either. :hmm: It sounds like this is a Gov't-sponsored public domain type thing ... and so there's some precedent from, for example, the British House of Commons speech collections. For the US, I think the relevant legal angles would be:
Published without compliance with US formalities, and in the public domain in its source country as of 1 January 1996 - public domain now
OR
Solely published abroad, without compliance with US formalities or republication in the US, and not in the public domain in its home country as of 1 January 1996 - 95 years after publication.
Do you have any idea about whether this project was running in 1996, Victor? I can see they mention that it's 14 years old, but that's probably just the website, not the status of the books. And also that the publisher took about a decade to close, from 1973. It seems like the books could have been PD from 1984 onwards in that case.

Does this page http://www.memoriachilena.cl/602/w3-article-3362.html relate to the publisher or to a specific group of works? It mentions:
The investigations of Memoria Chilena, Biblioteca Nacional de Chile (DIBAM) are under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license, except for its digital objects.
I don't know what that means, either. :| Are the books 'investigations' or 'digital objects'?

I'd probably contact Gutenberg anyway, and see what they make of it. :D I think it's worth a go!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!