Some Books that Aren't in the Public Domain (and why)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
ManfredN

Post by ManfredN »

Jair wrote:I've been looking for old time radio scripts and wondered about copyright/public domian issues for them. I found this and it's a handy tool for guidance. http://librarycopyright.net/digitalslider/
From what I understand the shows themselves are all copyright free now due to their age. As to the scripts, someone else will need to enlighten me on that. Btw I also love OTR and listen to the various iTunes channels almost every day!
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Jair wrote:I've been looking for old time radio scripts and wondered about copyright/public domian issues for them. I found this and it's a handy tool for guidance. http://librarycopyright.net/digitalslider/
WOW!!! This little gem of a tool is an amazing Godsend for helping organize all the cluttered rules that otherwise would remain cluttered in my head (in which whole segments of my brain that are unfortunately required for understanding copyright law went completely undeveloped during my gestation and formative years).

This deserves a New Topic Announcement of its own, which I may or may not get around to if Jair doesn't do it. If I do it, I will of course give Jair the credit he deserves for finding this. Others may have found it before him, and it may have been discussed here already, but it would've escaped my attention because I generally cease being able to concentrate more than two sentences in to any discussion of copyright issues. That's why Jair's post was so effective for me - two sentences and done!

Well done!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dennis
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|
Cori

Post by Cori »

I'm not sure what the definition of "publish" is for a script ... so I'd be wary of basing a decision solely on the slider (which works well for books first published in the US.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Steampunk wrote:
tyciol wrote:I hope this isn't overly nosy, but I am curious, would it be possible to make sister sites to LibriVox which are centered in other nations, such as Canada, where the copyrights have already expired?
It's something that has been discussed from time-to-time and generally hailed as a Good Idea. I think the problem is usually finding a hosting site like archive.org outside the US.
We have now started legamus.eu, based in Europe and the +70 rule (author/translator dead >70 years). For the time being we use fileshares in countries where this copyright rule applies, but on the longer run we hope to be able to move the audiofiles to a better place (perhaps with the help of sponsors; a feasible equivalent of archive.org doesn't seem to be available).
Do you live in Europe, Canada, Australia, ... any country where death date of author determines if a book is in the Public Domain? Come to legamus.eu to record books published in 1923 or later, written by authors dead since >70 years!
montmorency

Post by montmorency »

Can I just check the status of Thomas Mann?

I assume that by the date of death rule, none of his books is PD in Germany/Europe, but that in the USA, his early works (i.e. before 1923) are.

There are certainly several of them in Project Gutenberg (e.g. Buddenbrooks, but several others).

But none in Librivox. Is this just because no one has come forward to read any of them?
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Yes, that is correct; his works that were published before 1923 are PD in the US (therefore OK for LibriVox) but because he died in 1955, they are still under copyright in countries that have a death+70 yrs copyright law.

And yes, the reason we have none here is that no one has yet recorded them for us. :) Most of our German-speaking volunteers live in death+70 countries; that doubtless has a lot to do with it.

edited to add: I see there is one in English on Gutenberg as well.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36028
Laurie Anne
montmorency

Post by montmorency »

chocoholic wrote:Yes, that is correct; his works that were published before 1923 are PD in the US (therefore OK for LibriVox) but because he died in 1955, they are still under copyright in countries that have a death+70 yrs copyright law.

And yes, the reason we have none here is that no one has yet recorded them for us. :) Most of our German-speaking volunteers live in death+70 countries; that doubtless has a lot to do with it.
Many thanks. Mind you, there are surely lots of German speakers in the US :-)
edited to add: I see there is one in English on Gutenberg as well.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36028
Indeed, and the corresponding German version.
I might be willing to go for the English one, if there were some volunteers for the corresponding German one (using the "grey area" cover if necessary...).
kelargo

Post by kelargo »

Tom Jeffers wrote:Anything by Robert E. Howard legal?
Here is a list. Accuracy of it is unknown, but appears reliable.
http://www.robert-e-howard.org/AnotherThought4rerevised.html
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It does say:
and anyone wishing to pursue the publication of REH works is strongly encouraged to undertake their own research, preferably using the services of either the US Copyright Office staff, or a competent and trained searcher familiar with such searches in the US Copyright Office. A competent legal opinion might be a good idea as well.
So that's us out. ;)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
berighteous

Post by berighteous »

Has anybody seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk862BbjWx4&feature=relmfu

It's an explanation of how the copyright laws came to be.
von

Post by von »

So, the everlasting man by Chesterton can't be done here on Librivox? I found it on gutenburg Australia.
Please use PM for contacting me even when I have just posted something in the forum. I don't read forum posts, generally. Thx.

Alleluia! the salvation, and the glory, and the honour, and the power, is to the Lord our God
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Gutenberg Australia observes the copyright law of Australia. LibriVox observes the copyright law of the USA where our files are hosted.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
sachin

Post by sachin »

Hi all,

I am new to this site and I have a couple of questions.

I wonder, if a multi-volume book called The Sikh Religion, Its Gurus, Sacred Writings and Authors, published in 1909, is in the public domain, because it would be great to have a audio version of it. How does one go about finding out if a book is in the public domain? I would have thought that since this book is quite old it would be in the public domain.

Thanks,

Sachin
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hi, Sachin. I answered in your other thread. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
BensonBrunswin

Post by BensonBrunswin »

Does anyone know what the US-PD status of an english translation of Rameau's Nephew by Denis Diderot is?

So far, the only PD translation I've found (though I haven't looked very throughly) is by a canadian professor on Gutenberg Australia, but I'm not sure if that would be good here as well. I know the two countries have different copyright laws, but it seems absurd that there wouldn't be some english version of this available for all - the book was written 250 years ago, for christ sakes.