Some Books that Aren't in the Public Domain (and why)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

tyciol wrote:I hope this isn't overly nosy, but I am curious, would it be possible to make sister sites to LibriVox which are centered in other nations, such as Canada, where the copyrights have already expired?
It's something that has been discussed from time-to-time and generally hailed as a Good Idea. I think the problem is usually finding a hosting site like archive.org outside the US.

Jim
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The problem with that is finding free server space for the audio files. Archive.org is graciously providing repository space for the files for free. We haven't had any such offers from other parts of the world. :wink:

Edit: Oops - didn't see Jim's post - blasted posts on new pages! LOL!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
sallymc

Post by sallymc »

What doesn't make sense is that certain countries have to conform to the death date for the reading of books for Librivox, yet anyone anywhere can listen to them! Kind of defeats the purpose.
Just putting a spanner in the works!
Sallymc
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, legally, everyone everywhere can't listen to the recordings. If I were caught with, say, P.G. Wodehouse files on my computer and if the authorities wanted to be stinkers, I could be prosecuted for breaking Canada's copyright laws. It would be like owning pirated movies.
sallymc

Post by sallymc »

Oh wow. I suppose so. So in South Africa for instance, it is sailing close to the wind. I never even thought of whether I was infringing copyright by downloading from Librivox - never even thought of checking copyright. Interesting.
Sallymc
omar234

Post by omar234 »

How about the translations of the 'Romance of The Three Kingdoms' books (originally by Luo Guanzhong)
he apparently wrote it in the 14th century and i think the translated work is under the terms of the
'GNU Free Documentation License.'

any way to get this in public domain?
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

omar234 wrote:How about the translations of the 'Romance of The Three Kingdoms' books (originally by Luo Guanzhong)
he apparently wrote it in the 14th century and i think the translated work is under the terms of the
'GNU Free Documentation License.'

any way to get this in public domain?
Unfortunately, GFDL isn't the same as public domain since it carries restrictions. Specifically, the GFDL must follow any copies or derivatives and the source must be made available to the recipient. With public domain, there are no restrictions on copies or derivatives.

The right place for a audio version of a GFD licensed work would be someplace like podiobooks or archive.org, where you could release it with a Creative Commons license compatible with GFDL.

I'm curious, though, where might one find the GFDL translations of the "Romance of The Three Kingdoms" books?

Jim
omar234

Post by omar234 »

Well if it's just the books i got a couple of volumes from a local library near where i live (in london)
it's where i first read the books

although i don't know if they were GFDL translations specifically since this was a few years ago, although i don't really
know how many different kinds of translations the book has, and to be honest the main reason i got into the books (and
how i found out about them) was through a game - but that doesn't mean i didn't enjoy the books

Omar
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Check out http://threekingdoms.com
(Ignore the politics stuff, just scroll down)

It has information about every English translation out there (the first one was in 1925, so too late for us unfortunately). There is another translation from the 70s, it's also listed there.

At the bottom of the page you can download the old translation completely, but
- it doesn't give a licence
- it says that some spelling and other errors of the paper version have been fixed, so I assume this one has a new copyright anyway?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
omar234

Post by omar234 »

woah, sweet - that's a great find

thanks

(my name's over here somewhere)
TheresaSeiders

Post by TheresaSeiders »

Hi there. Wondering if you know about Isak Dinesen...particularly Out of Africa. Can this be recorded?
Theresa Seiders
Visit me at www.ThatsAllSheRead.com to hear my demos and get links to my work!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

TheresaSeiders wrote:Hi there. Wondering if you know about Isak Dinesen...particularly Out of Africa. Can this be recorded?
Published in 1937 in Denmark & England, 1938 in the USA. Still under copyright.

The only works of hers that are PD are these:
# The Hermits (1907, published in a Danish journal under the name Osceola)
# The Ploughman (1907, published in a Danish journal under the name Osceola)
# The de Cats Family (1909, published in Tilskueren)

She died in 1962, so she's under copyright in Life+50 countries until Jan 1, 2013 and Life+70 countries until 2033.
Nerdanel

Post by Nerdanel »

Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon (May 10, 1886 – September 6, 1950)
Last and First Men: A Story of the Near and Far Future is a "future history" science fiction novel written in 1930 by the British author Olaf Stapledon. A work of unprecedented scale in the genre, it describes the history of humanity from the present onwards across two billion years and eighteen distinct human species, of which our own is the first and most primitive. Stapledon's conception of history is based on the Hegelian Dialectic, following a repetitive cycle with many varied civilizations rising from and descending back into savagery over millions of years, but it is also one of progress, as the later civilizations rise to far greater heights than the first. (Introduction by Wikepedia)
‘Oh, that won’t do!’ said Bilbo. ‘Books ought to have good endings. How would this do: and they all settled down and lived together happily ever after?’...
‘Ah!’ said Sam. ‘And where will they live? That’s what I often wonder.’
-The Fellowship of the Ring
Nerdanel

Post by Nerdanel »

Okay, thanks guys. I actually emailed Project Gutenberg and got an email back almost instantly. They said:

That book is not in the public domain under US copyright law. It may be in the PD elsewhere in the world where copyright laws are different.

So, it's a shame but it looks like I won't be able to read this book after all. :cry:

Thanks for your help, though, clearing it up.

Nerdanel
‘Oh, that won’t do!’ said Bilbo. ‘Books ought to have good endings. How would this do: and they all settled down and lived together happily ever after?’...
‘Ah!’ said Sam. ‘And where will they live? That’s what I often wonder.’
-The Fellowship of the Ring
Jair

Post by Jair »

I've been looking for old time radio scripts and wondered about copyright/public domian issues for them. I found this and it's a handy tool for guidance. http://librarycopyright.net/digitalslider/