Successful Recitations, by Various, Edited by Alfred H. Mile

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
UncleJake

Post by UncleJake »

Here's something that looks like a sure bet for LibriVox. It's a collection of (mostly) short poetry and prose originally selected in 1901 for suitability for oral presentation to an audience as recitations. (The editor's last name is Miles, but the forum software won't let me add any more characters to the subject line, even though there is room for them.)

It's at Project Gutenberg here: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/17378

There's a mixture of humorous, serious, sentimental and patriotic material and most of it is short pieces that I guess would be under 15 minutes.

Please note that the book is divided into two parts, The Royal Reciter and The Imperial Reciter. The contents of the latter are not listed until about halfway through the etext. Despite those section titles, there is a fair amount of American material included.

If this gets done, I'd rather like to claim "The Groom's Story" by A. Conan Doyle as my LV audition piece. As I'm a newbie here, I'm in no position to do the BC work.

Anyone else interested?

Jake
"Reading rots the mind." - Uncle Analdas in Robert Lawson's [i]Rabbit Hill[/i]
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Oh, I agree, that looks terrific! It's quite long, so the eventual BC may want to combine poems into longer sections. Maybe in December when our current Month of Completion is over, someone will take it on. (I will have no time in December myself.)
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

UncleJake wrote: If this gets done, I'd rather like to claim "The Groom's Story" by A. Conan Doyle as my LV audition piece. As I'm a newbie here, I'm in no position to do the BC work.
Jake
You know, you don't have to wait to read the Conan Doyle piece. You could record it by itself and submit it to Short Poetry if it's under 5 minutes, or Long Poetry if it's over 5 min. That way you could get your feet wet right away and then plunge right into recording other things too!

We don't actually audition, by the way. :) We ask that people do short test recordings just to work out technical kinks early on. As long as you can be understood, your voice will be most welcome!
Laurie Anne
UncleJake

Post by UncleJake »

chocoholic wrote:
UncleJake wrote: If this gets done, I'd rather like to claim "The Groom's Story" by A. Conan Doyle as my LV audition piece. As I'm a newbie here, I'm in no position to do the BC work.
Jake
You know, you don't have to wait to read the Conan Doyle piece. You could record it by itself and submit it to Short Poetry if it's under 5 minutes, or Long Poetry if it's over 5 min. That way you could get your feet wet right away and then plunge right into recording other things too!
Thanks, Laurie Ann. I was just about to write you with that very question. I'll see how a recording times out. I *think* I have Audacity figured out now (after I finally figured out that the strange rustling noises on my first trial were due to the hairs at the end of my moustache rubbing against the mic on my headset); we'll see how it goes.

Jake
"Reading rots the mind." - Uncle Analdas in Robert Lawson's [i]Rabbit Hill[/i]
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

UncleJake wrote:(after I finally figured out that the strange rustling noises on my first trial were due to the hairs at the end of my moustache rubbing against the mic on my headset)
:lol: Well, that's one I never had trouble with, anyway. Other things, sure, just not that!
Laurie Anne
Sibella

Post by Sibella »

(after I finally figured out that the strange rustling noises on my first trial were due to the hairs at the end of my moustache rubbing against the mic on my headset)
I have to comment. That's HILARIOUS.
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]