[COMPLETE] The Master Mind of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

The Master Mind of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs (-1950)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-master-mind-of-mars-by-edgar-rice-burroughs/
(Summary by )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/Amazing_Stories_Annual_v01n01_1927_David_Vaughn/page/n5/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2022-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Master Mind of Mars. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Master Mind of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Master Mind of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Master Mind of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: mastermindofmars_##_burroughs_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. mastermindofmars_01_burroughs_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Sorry, Joe, but this will not be in the public domain in the U.S. until January at the earliest. At that point it could be read from the original publication in Amazing Stories Annual, Vol. 1, July 15, 1927 (https://archive.org/details/Amazing_Stories_Annual_v01n01_1927_David_Vaughn/mode/2up) The first publication in book form was 1928, which won't be PD in the U.S. until Jan 2024.

The text link you provided is from gutenberg australia where copyright is based on author's date of death as opposed to date of publication here in the U.S.
Jo
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

Hello,

Isn't the US Copyright 95 years?

I saw the original publication date was July 1927, and cover was a part of the australian transcript.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes, U. S. copyright is 95 years from the year of publication. All books published in 1927 will automatically enter the public domain as of Jan. 1, 2023.
Jo
loon

Post by loon »

Just four months!
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Meanwhile, this thread will be moved to book suggestions.
Jo
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

I have two questions:

1) I have the original magazine, and I can scan in the pages of it.
Can they be uploaded to Librivox?

How do I get these to be available for a proof-listener to do this today

2) In January of next year, would this link to Australia be valid to read from?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We can't have anything to do with files not PD in the USA. You could upload to us on January 1st. but not before
The PGA version is probably OK but they will need to be checked against the actual version.
It is possible that PG will have an Etext available then.
You could scan your copy and upload it to Archive any time so it was available 1st Jan - just be sure to include the cover.

Anne
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

I don't think pg-aus would clear for pg-us. The faded page would and should be posted to pg-us in January.

Greg
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

If you're interested in recording something by Burroughs unrecorded, this other thread had a couple suggestions:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94032&p=2084885&hilit=burroughs#p2084885
prosfilaes

Post by prosfilaes »

Given https://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/cinfo/amazstorann, I'd say this should be PD now. Per Librivox rules, someone would have to clear it through PG, of course.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Greg has already posted it will be cleared by PG in 2023 and I'll bow to his opinion. Waiting 3 months is no big deal
We rely on PG for our clearances as stated in the text policy.
The link you quote clearly says
This page is not legal advice.
Anne
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

I have scans of the original magazine from 1927 for this.
Can we set up this as a project?

I can begin recording now, and then can wait until January 1 to drop them into the Magic Window.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No. We will do nothing with 1927 projects until January 1, 2023 - not even set up a project thread.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

P.S. You've already posted the thread, sorta. On January 1, we can move this thread and/or just the first post of it to the Launch Pad. 8-)