List of Unrecorded Horror, Ghost Stories and Weird Tales: Short Story Collections

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Ansam

Post by Ansam »

Hi again flavo5000,
'just a quick update; I have now recorded "He" by H.P. Lovecraft, it's uploaded and awaiting PL.
Cheers,
Andy
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Ansam wrote: May 17th, 2022, 7:30 am Hi again flavo5000,
'just a quick update; I have now recorded "He" by H.P. Lovecraft, it's uploaded and awaiting PL.
Cheers,
Andy
Groovy! That's the last one other than his ghost-written Houdini story which I was probably planning to record myself in the near future as part of a Weird Tales: Harry Houdini-themed collection.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

flavo5000 wrote: May 17th, 2022, 8:16 am
Ansam wrote: May 17th, 2022, 7:30 am Hi again flavo5000,
Cheers,
Andy
Groovy! That's the last one other than his ghost-written Houdini story which I was probably planning to record myself in the near future as part of a Weird Tales: Harry Houdini-themed collection.
Good point. I'll keep that in mind with future updates. Speaking of which I have recently updated the first post with several more books I've come across.
Ansam

Post by Ansam »

I'll wish you good luck with "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs", it was a bit long for me. Look forward to hearing it.
Cheers,
Andy
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

I'm taking on Jack London's Moon-Face and Other Stories as my next project! It's been marked as adopted.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

So the first post of this thread has gotten too large. As such, I've split out Novels and Short Stories into separate threads with this one remaining as the short story collection thread and the novels thread here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93069
Also, you'll notice in the novels thread I've added summaries to each book like the Science Fiction thread to hopefully help people find something they're interested in a little easier. :)
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

I've added quite a few new things to the first post as well as updated quite a few word counts to give a better idea of length.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

I just want to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong, but first of all, many many thanks for the list!
Basically, if I record just a story within the book (i.e. not adopting it), do I have to report?
I've just submitted one from the Ivan Turgenev - Dream Tales and Prose Poems book.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

DrSpoke wrote: July 30th, 2022, 9:10 am I just want to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong, but first of all, many many thanks for the list!
Basically, if I record just a story within the book (i.e. not adopting it), do I have to report?
I've just submitted one from the Ivan Turgenev - Dream Tales and Prose Poems book.
Not if it's just a single story. Kadath"s original Ghost Stories thread does have a couple of single Turgenev stories listed on it. You might check if what you recorded is one of those so he can remove it from there (the link to the thread is at the top of the first post of this one).
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Thank you for your reply. Just checked and it's not there.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I was excited to see Thomas Hardy's Wessex Tales listed here, but when I double-checked, I found one solo version already on Librivox that was uploaded in 2012. So it's not exactly unrecorded...

Cheers,
Winnifred

Away from my computer March 30 to April 6.

Readers Wanted:
The Powder of Sympathy by Christopher Morley (humorous short essays on a wide range of topics including literature, Buddha, cars, New York, Oxford, recipes, and a dog named Gissing)
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Winnifred wrote: August 1st, 2022, 11:10 am I was excited to see Thomas Hardy's Wessex Tales listed here, but when I double-checked, I found one solo version already on Librivox that was uploaded in 2012. So it's not exactly unrecorded...

Cheers,
Oh, yep. You are correct. I'll remove it. Sorry about that. I thought I checked through all of these.
sdunlap2021

Post by sdunlap2021 »

I will take Bram Stoker, Snowbound if no one has claimed this one!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

sdunlap2021 wrote: August 16th, 2022, 2:27 pm I will take Bram Stoker, Snowbound if no one has claimed this one!
Sure, the main thing with that one is that we need to get clearance on the source for it. bramstoker.org isn't a typical source Librivox uses. I just posted a thread in the Get Help or Advice section of the forum asking if that source is ok to use. I wouldn't start recording until that gets clearance. I wouldn't want you to waste your time.

Also I notice that you're quite new here. Welcome! Recording a book Solo is a big time commitment though. Before diving head first into the deep end, you might want to consider heading over to the Readers Wanted sections and recording a few chapters or short stories there first to make sure you are ok with both the recording and editing before taking on a bigger commitment. To start off with, you'll definitely want to do a 1-minute test to check out all your technical specs before recording anything as well. You can do that here: viewforum.php?f=21
sdunlap2021

Post by sdunlap2021 »

Yes, I am totally new!! I wasn't sure where a good place to start would be, so thank you very much for the advice. I posted the one minute test earlier today, and I'm hoping to get a working mic by tomorrow. I will definitely do what you recommended starting with the shorter works. Please do keep me updated on the Stoker piece though because I am a big fan, and willing to make the commitment after some practice on here. Thanks again!!