[SOLO] Charles Finney Revivals of Religion - loa

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

My name is Justin Vistine, and I am planning on starting a new solo project, recording "Revivals of Religion" by Charles Finney. I have already checked to make sure it is in the public domain and will have the help of my friend Matt Allen for editing and proofreading. Excited to get this one out there!
Lectures On Revivals of Religion, by Charles Finney (1792 - 1875)
Charles Grandison Finney was arguably one of the greatest evangelists of all time. His ministry led to the Second Great Awakening in America, with over half a million people converted through his ministry. This was during a time where there was no technology to aid his speaking to large crowds. Some estimate that over 80% of his converts during revivals stayed true to Christ until their deaths. In "Lectures on Revivals of Religion", Finney details his findings in scripture about what true revival is, and how it can be meaningfully experienced by those who seek it. (Summary by Justin Vistine)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/lecturesonreviva00finn/page/n5/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2022-12-28

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: christian, revival, finney

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Lectures On Revivals of Religion. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Lectures On Revivals of Religion, by Charles Finney. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Lectures On Revivals of Religion, by Charles Finney. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Lectures On Revivals of Religion, by Charles Finney."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: lecturesonrevivalsofreligion_##_finney_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. lecturesonrevivalsofreligion_01_finney_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: lorda

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

Here is the complete and edited file for Section 1: "Lecture 1: What a Revival of Religion Is":
https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/Lectures_on_Revivals_of_Religion-Section_1.mp3
The file length is 35:39

I uploaded it under "non-project", since there is no MC assigned yet, but I can re-upload the recording if necessary to whichever MC gets assigned. Thanks for helping!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

you need to have an MC first and discuss things like file name formats - so just wait a bit. Someone who has time will come along. Is your friend an LV reader?
You also need to have passed the "test" - which is a sound check - it is much easier for you to have it right before you start recording, that's why we suggest it in your welcome email. In a way recording is like oil painting , if you muck around too much you get a muddy-sounding recording

Anne
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

Okay thank you so much! I have submitted a test recording before I started this project, but I needed to make some adjustments so I just sent in another test on the thread, which will be reviewed soon. My friend has a registered librivox account and is also wanting to start recording for projects soon.

How long does it generally take to find an MC for a solo project? Is there anything I need to, or could, do to help find one more quickly? Do some people end up not finding MCs for their projects? What does it take to become an MC for other people's projects?

Thanks for your help and guidance! I think I might end up redoing this recording even once an MC comes around because I could do a lot better now that I got the feedback from my test recording and I'm starting to figure out how this works

Justin
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

justinvistine wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 9:57 pm Okay thank you so much! I have submitted a test recording before I started this project, but I needed to make some adjustments so I just sent in another test on the thread, which will be reviewed soon. My friend has a registered librivox account and is also wanting to start recording for projects soon.

How long does it generally take to find an MC for a solo project? Is there anything I need to, or could, do to help find one more quickly? Do some people end up not finding MCs for their projects? What does it take to become an MC for other people's projects?

Thanks for your help and guidance! I think I might end up redoing this recording even once an MC comes around because I could do a lot better now that I got the feedback from my test recording and I'm starting to figure out how this works

Justin
I have reviewed you test recording. The best next step would be to record a section or two for a group project before you embark on a solo - it's a big commitment. This work you have chosen will be 28 hours long when finished and many people find that editing takes them 2 or 3 times that so you're signing on for 84 hours of work with a solo. It's not impossible, but the vast majority of people who start something so huge for their first project end up giving up before it's finished and then an MC has to figure out what to do with a disappeared person and partially recorded files. That's why people recommend you take incrementally bigger steps - test recording first, then some sections for a group project (you might find some ones you like in my signature) then a short solo, then a monster solo like this one!
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

justinvistine wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 9:57 pm Okay thank you so much! I have submitted a test recording before I started this project, but I needed to make some adjustments so I just sent in another test on the thread, which will be reviewed soon. My friend has a registered librivox account and is also wanting to start recording for projects soon.

Justin
Hello again, Justin. I recently replied as BC to your claim on the George MacDonald project and thought I could try answer a few of your questions here. I also think it is wise to learn the ropes by starting with recording chapters for other projects to prepare you for this huge solo.

While I also initially joined LV with the goal of recording a favorite, long solo, I began by submitting several sections for other projects, then completed a short solo before tackling my first long one. I was glad for what I had learned along the way to improve my main project.

And if your friend who plans to be your DPL has not yet been a part of other projects, they may find it helpful (besides reading the DPL training, of course) to browse some group project threads to get more idea of what a DPL deals with.

As far as finding a DPL for this project, I have not known of a project ever lacking one. It can take a few days to be picked up. And it is possible that the combination of the length of this commitment combined with this being your first project could make less of the MCs able to consider adding it to their plate at this time.

I believe it takes some years of faithful volunteering on LV to be considered as a possible MC. But thankfully the list of MCs has at least doubled since I first joined LV.

Hope this helps a bit!
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

InTheDesert wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 10:55 pm

Justin
I have reviewed you test recording. The best next step would be to record a section or two for a group project before you embark on a solo - it's a big commitment. This work you have chosen will be 28 hours long when finished and many people find that editing takes them 2 or 3 times that so you're signing on for 84 hours of work with a solo. It's not impossible, but the vast majority of people who start something so huge for their first project end up giving up before it's finished and then an MC has to figure out what to do with a disappeared person and partially recorded files. That's why people recommend you take incrementally bigger steps - test recording first, then some sections for a group project (you might find some ones you like in my signature) then a short solo, then a monster solo like this one!
Thank you so much! I decided to take your advice and volunteer for a collaborative project recording a George Macdonald book. I have submitted it, and just launched a smaller solo project working on a book called "Quiet Talks On Power" by S. D. Gordon, which should be a much shorter, simpler project. I have already learned a lot from volunteering for the collaborative effort, and I'm grateful for your advice
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

HannahMary wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:09 am

Justin
Hello again, Justin. I recently replied as BC to your claim on the George MacDonald project and thought I could try answer a few of your questions here. I also think it is wise to learn the ropes by starting with recording chapters for other projects to prepare you for this huge solo.

While I also initially joined LV with the goal of recording a favorite, long solo, I began by submitting several sections for other projects, then completed a short solo before tackling my first long one. I was glad for what I had learned along the way to improve my main project.

And if your friend who plans to be your DPL has not yet been a part of other projects, they may find it helpful (besides reading the DPL training, of course) to browse some group project threads to get more idea of what a DPL deals with.

As far as finding a DPL for this project, I have not known of a project ever lacking one. It can take a few days to be picked up. And it is possible that the combination of the length of this commitment combined with this being your first project could make less of the MCs able to consider adding it to their plate at this time.

I believe it takes some years of faithful volunteering on LV to be considered as a possible MC. But thankfully the list of MCs has at least doubled since I first joined LV.

Hope this helps a bit!

Thank you so much! I will continue to volunteer for some collaborative projects while working on my first solo effort, a much shorter one called "Quiet Talks on Power" by S. D. Gordon. This was very helpful. I was a little curious as to how difficult it might be to find an MC or DPL, but this is good news.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Great! Moving this to Book Suggestions, to keep the Launch Pad tidy. When you're ready for this one, post in this thread, and an admin will move it back to the Launch Pad for you. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

Hello! I think I’m ready to launch this project if you think I’m ready! I finished a different solo project in three months and saw it through to completion. Let me know if what you think
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Hi Justin,

I can MC this project for you.

If you like a scaned version, where transmission errors are excluded, you can find this version here:
https://archive.org/details/lecturesonreviva00finn/page/n5/mode/2up

Give me a note, if you want this other source and I change it in the database.
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

The MW is ready to get filled.

I shortered the filenames and bring the Titel in the right spelling. Also I've changed the Intros and the last outro I've changed ('by Charles Finney' is not part of the title and so was a double everythere).

I added the '~' bevor the subject to show everyone does we need a DPL.

Have fun. :wink:
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

lorda wrote: March 26th, 2023, 6:15 am Hi Justin,

I can MC this project for you.

If you like a scaned version, where transmission errors are excluded, you can find this version here:
https://archive.org/details/lecturesonreviva00finn/page/n5/mode/2up

Give me a note, if you want this other source and I change it in the database.

Thank you so much!! I’m excited to get started on this. I can use that version.
justinvistine

Post by justinvistine »

lorda wrote: March 26th, 2023, 6:40 am The MW is ready to get filled.

I shortered the filenames and bring the Titel in the right spelling. Also I've changed the Intros and the last outro I've changed ('by Charles Finney' is not part of the title and so was a double everythere).

I added the '~' bevor the subject to show everyone does we need a DPL.

Have fun. :wink:
Thanks for helping! When I made this, it was before I had done a solo project or had any experience at all, so I’m sure I made many mistakes. If you find any other mistakes let me know! I’m willing to correct anything, but it looks like you got it so far
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hi, Justine!
Is the friend you mentioned going to be your DPL?
That is certainly fine, but if you are otherwise looking for an experienced proof listener, I would be glad to serve as DPL for you.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry