Book suggestions in languages other than English

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Basically, books published more than 95 years ago are automatically out of copyright - in the US, which the copyright LibriVox has to adhere to. We look for the publication date inside the book; that's why we prefer scans of old books to modern transcriptions on random pages.

For books that were published more recently, things are getting a bit more complicated. While some of them may be out of copyright = public domain as well, this is often very difficult to prove.

We do accept books from gutenberg.org and hathitrust.org since they are very diligent and perform their own copyright checks before making a book available to the public.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Nerantzoula

Post by Nerantzoula »

Hello everyone! I would like to read in Greek language Denis Diderot's: Paradox sur le comedien (Το παράδοξο με τον ηθοποιό). Can anyone help me how to start and the steps I have to take in order to upload the audio!
Thank you!! :D
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi! Welcome here!

I can help you, but first we must ascertain that the Greek translation is in the public domain in USA, that is published before 1926 - and if you are in Greece/Europe, also the translator must be dead for more than 70 years in order to be without copyright for you. Do you have an online text source or were you planning to read from a hard copy book? If a book, you can see the copyright © (publication year) somewhere in the first pages.

Μπορώ να σε βοηθήσω αλλά πρέπει πρώτα να βεβαιωθούμε ότι η ελληνική μετάφραση δεν έχει πλέον πνευματικά δικαιώματα - αν έχει δημοσιευθεί πριν το 1926 και ο μεταφραστής έχει πεθάνει πριν το 1951. Έχεις κάποιο λινκ στο κείμενο ή σκοπεύεις να διαβάσεις από βιβλίο; Αν από βιβλίο μπορείς να δεις το copyright © κάπου στις πρώτες σελίδες.
Nerantzoula

Post by Nerantzoula »

Thank you for your answer! I've checked the book and the copyright is from 1995 so it not permitted! I didn't know that the translation haw also a coryright! So where can i find what books i can read in Greek and where can i find the books and/or the translations?

Σε ευχαριστώ για την απάντηση! :D Τo copyright του βιβλίου που έχω (της έκδοσης ή της μετάφρασης??) είναι από το 1995 οπότε καλύπτεται και δεν μπορώ να το διαβάσω! Αυτό που ήθελα να ρωτήσω είναι πως μπορούμε να βρούμε βιβλία και μεταφράσεις που δεν καλύπτονται πια από πνευματικά δικαιώματα? Υπάρχει κάποιος κατάλογος με συγκεκριμένες εκδόσεις κλπ? :hmm:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Δεν γνωρίζω να υπάρχει κάπου ολοκληρωμένος κατάλογος.
Καλή πηγή είναι οι πανεπιστημιακές βιβλιοθήκες, αλλά και πάλι θα πρέπει να ξέρεις τι ψάχνεις, κάποιον συγκεκριμένο συγγραφέα ή συγκεκριμένο τίτλο.
Π.χ. η βιβλιοθήκη του Πανεπιστημίου Κρήτης https://anemi.lib.uoc.gr/ έχει διαθέσιμα βιβλία που είναι χωρίς πνευματικά δικαιώματα στην Ελλάδα, δηλαδή από συγγραφείς που έχουν πεθάνει περισσότερο από 70 χρόνια πριν, οπότε πάλι θα πρέπει να έχεις το νου σου στη χρονολογία έκδοσης, ώστε να είναι και χωρίς δικαιώματα για το librivox.org που έχει βάση στις ΗΠΑ (να έχει εκδοθεί πάνω από 95 χρόνια πριν, δηλαδή από το 1925 και πριν, και του χρόνου το 2022, από το 1926 και πριν, κοκ).

Ενδεχομένως να υπάρχουν αρκετές online πηγές από σκαναρισμένα παλιά βιβλία. Δεν το έχω ψάξει πολύ γιατί παρόλο που η μητρική μου γλώσσα είναι τα ελληνικά, δυσκολευομαι να διαβάσω την καθαρεύουσα ελληνική των εκατό χρόνων πριν...

Το gutenberg.org έχει μερικούς τίτλους στα ελληνικά: https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/el ισως βρεις κάτι που να σε ενδιαφέρει :D
Σου αρέσει ο Καρκαβίτσας; https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/k#a35236
Nerantzoula

Post by Nerantzoula »

Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ για όλες τις πληροφορίες! :D Νομίζω κατάλαβα αρκετά πως πρέπει να κινηθώ. Θα το ψάξω και θα σου στείλω μήνυμα. Ωραίος ο Καρκαβίτσας αλλά η καθαρεύουσα είναι ένα μεγάλο θέμα!!! :?
ErickSoares3

Post by ErickSoares3 »

Katharina21

Post by Katharina21 »

Hallo,

Ich würde gerne "Prinz und Bettler" von Mark Twain lesen. Ich habe nur eine Quelle gefunden, kann mir bitte jemand sagen, ob das PD ist?
https://www.projekt-gutenberg.org/twain/bettprin/bettprin.html

Danke,
Katharina
schrm

Post by schrm »

Katharina21 wrote: May 27th, 2022, 12:25 pm Hallo,

Ich würde gerne "Prinz und Bettler" von Mark Twain lesen. Ich habe nur eine Quelle gefunden, kann mir bitte jemand sagen, ob das PD ist?
https://www.projekt-gutenberg.org/twain/bettprin/bettprin.html

Danke,
Katharina
hallo katharina,

nur 2-3 hinweise:
erstens bist du im falschen thread! die frage wäre hier gut aufgehoben: viewtopic.php?p=2055907
zweitens das buch hat keine jahresangabe. laut quelltext o.j. somit fraglich.
drittens ohne übersetzer-sterbejahr ist das buch eventuell auch nicht gemeinfrei. ich habe aber auch nicht näher nachgesurft - google brachte schonmal nichts auf der ersten seite.
lg
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
wallandtzsofia

Post by wallandtzsofia »

Abonyi, Árpád, 1865-1918
A vörös regina: regény (Hungarian) (as Author)
I know it is a Hungarian novel but as there isn't any group where I can contribute in Hungarian
I can record it as a solo. If it is possible
wallandtzsofia
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Yes you could record it as a solo. It is a bit long, it may take you a few weeks to a few months to complete, depending on your free time.
You could do something short first, like a poem or short story, for the multilingual collection here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=92080
just to see how projects work.
Some of these may have nice poems:
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/39489
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Hello! I have a question. There is this law that a book should be published before 1927 (95 years ago). But I saw when searching online that this rule applies to the books published in the USA. What about the books published in other countries? For example, here it is stated that the book was firstly published in Ukraine and it was already in the public domain in Ukraine before 1996. So can it be used? If yes, how do you usually confirm that the work was firstly published in another country? For example, I want to also confirm this one by the same author.
Last edited by ShiNeko on July 4th, 2022, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

We follow the USA copyright laws because the files we produce are stored in USA (the servers are physically located in the USA). As far as I understand the law, regardless of where, books published before 95 years automatically enter the American public domain. There are some other clauses in the law about books published later and not renewing their copyright, thus with an expired copyright, they are also public domain in USA. But finding out if the copyright has expired is complicated. We rely on Gutenberg.org that has a legal team that can clarify the copyright status of the books.

The first link in your post didn't work for me, so I couldn't check your example. In Ukraine I think the copyright law goes by author's death +70 years, so perhaps the author died before 1925?
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 4th, 2022, 3:45 am We follow the USA copyright laws because the files we produce are stored in USA (the servers are physically located in the USA). As far as I understand the law, regardless of where, books published before 95 years automatically enter the American public domain. There are some other clauses in the law about books published in the USA later and not renewing their copyright, thus with an expired copyright, they are also public domain in USA. But finding out if the copyright has expired is complicated. We rely on Gutenberg.org that has a legal team that can clarify the copyright status of the books.

The first link in your post didn't work for me, so I couldn't check your example. In Ukraine I think the copyright law goes by author's death +70 years, so perhaps the author died before 1925?
For Ukraine, yes, author's death +70 years (so who died before 1952), before 2001 was + 50 years. The author was shooted away in 1937, so in Ukraine he is surely in the PD.

Sorry, I forgot to add the first link. :oops: It works now. It is wikisource and there is a clause relating to the USA. Here is what it is written there:
This work is in the public domain in the United States because it was first published in Ukraine and was in the public domain in Ukraine as of January 1, 1996 (URAA data).

P.S. it is a pity but guthenberg doesn't work for me as there are none or almost none books in Ukrainian.
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's really difficult we know but we have to follow USA copyright laws. Wikipedia and Archive have the copyright that the person uploading gives. We do not have a legal team nor can we fight any claims made in USA courts.
USA law is at present that all copyright expires on January 1st of the publication year plus 96 which means it lasts 95 years but no changes are made until the following January 1st.
like everything legal there are exceptions but finding out if they apply is difficult and we just can't do it no matter what we want to do.
All the non USA MCs find this frustrating at times but that is the way it is.

Anne