Piers Plowman by Willaam Langland

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello all, I would like to humbly suggest that someone try to make a recording of Piers Plowman by William Langland for Librivox. It is one of the most important literary works of the middle ages in the style of The Divine Comedy. It is an allegorical poem that contains Christian elements but also opinions on the political situation of the day- which are surprisingly relevant to our times. I read some of it and it is lovely. There are many translations from Middle English. I arbitrarily selected one of them:
https://archive.org/details/piersplowmanvisi00languoft
Note: there is a translation on Gutenberg. But it contains two volumes and many scholarly notes. I thought recording this in one volume would be better but o course the person who picks it up has the last word.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

How interesting, Stav! I haven't read this work, but I have heard of it, and I know that it's considered extremely important and influential. I'm surprised that we don't have it already.

I'll seriously consider picking it up, unless someone else beats me to it. But not right away, I fear. I have several open projects as is, and another that I'm in the process of preparing.