Book suggestions in languages other than English

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Laveena27

Post by Laveena27 »

Hello,
I would like to like to suggest that their can be audiobooks for Hindi too
Thanks
Laveena
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Laveena27 wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 6:10 am Hello,
I would like to like to suggest that their can be audiobooks for Hindi too
Thanks
Laveena
hi laveena, thank you for your suggestion! of course it would be great to have audiobooks in hindi!

If you would like to make a suggestion or look for a book to read yourself, look for a text that has been published more than 95 years ago. this year is 2020, so any book we want to read should be published before 1925.

if you find an interesting book in the hindi language that was published in 1924 or earlier, it can be made into an audiobook for librivox :)
Carolin
TanG

Post by TanG »

ezwa wrote: October 18th, 2008, 12:22 pm Here are links to the existing threads for book suggestions in languages other than English:
Feel free to add one in your own favourite language.
Here's our reference page for online libraries in lots of different languages: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Book_Resources#Non-English_Languages
Could you please add link to the Ukrainian thread to the first post, so it would be easier to find:
Ukrainian/Українська: Anybody Ukrainian here?/Говорите українською? Вам сюди :)
(viewtopic.php?f=38&t=84273)
tomasnavarrocr

Post by tomasnavarrocr »

Hello,

I would like to suggest the "Ya no seas codependiente" byt Melody Beattie and I would like to do the recording for it.

I have the pdf and the link of the book in case that needs to be checked.

This book looks to be without copyrights because it says:
Material distribuido gratuitamente con fines didáctico-terapéuticos por el Centro de Atención y Servicios Psicológicos VivirLibre.org (Material distributed free of charge for educational-therapeutic purposes by the Centro de Attention and Psychological Services VivirLibre.org)

I will look forward for your reply

Regards.
Tomás Navarro.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome! :D

This looks like a modern book that is still under copyright with the author still happily alive. We don't do books like these here.

LibriVox only records books that are out of copyright in the US, which means generally "published at least 95 years ago", with very, very few exceptions. "Free of charge" is nice, but not the same as "out of copyright".
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
tomasnavarrocr

Post by tomasnavarrocr »

Hello Team,

I would like to suggest "Obras completas" by Sigmund Freud volumen 15 you can check the book here https://www.bibliopsi.org/docs/freud/15%20-%20Tomo%20XV.pdf

Sigmun Freud dead at 1939 so that means that he has 82 years dead. I would like to do a SOLO of this book. But I am new so, I would like to confirm first.

I was reviewing that in general the copyright expires between 70 and 80 after the dead of the Author and in this case, it's more time than that.

In the case that I can start recording this book, can I get a link with the steps to do it or anything that can guide me to start? I already have my 1-minute test approved.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards.
Tomás Navarro.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there Tomas and welcome! :D

While you are right with "Freud's been dead long enough", LibriVox works with copyright in the US, and there a book needs to be "published at least 95 years ago" to be in the public domain for sure.

The book you're linking to has a copyright notice of 1963 (English Translation) and1976 (Spanish translation), so that means we cannot record it here. While Freud is still popular, most of his writings that are public domain are the original German ones, with very few very early translations only.

In general, translations get their own copyright, so you need to make sure that the translator(s) have also been dead and buried long enough; and of course the 95 years still hold in any case.

I hope you'll find something else that interests you - it would be great to have more nonfiction in Spanish! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
tomasnavarrocr

Post by tomasnavarrocr »

Hello Team,

Once again and looking for a book to read here,

I have found these books:
I was not able to find anything specific about the person that translate the books to Spanish and the author has more than 95 years from the dead.

I will look forward for your reply.

Regards
Tomás Navarro.
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Hello, Availle and Tomas.

As a former teacher, "Psicologia de la Atencion" captured my interest right away. :D

The publication years of the versions linked are 1904 (el Aburrimiento), 1899 (Psicologia de la Atencion) and 1900 (Psicologia de los Sentimientos). What do you think, Availle? Would they do?

I couldn't agree more with you, Availle. It would be wonderful to have more non-fiction books recorded in Spanish. Actually, perhaps I should start working to contribute some suggestions myself. :D
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for reminding me of this one!

All three books are fine for LibriVox since the links are to scans of the books from early 19xx, so clearly before our current cutoff of 1925.
Additionally we'd like you to adhere to the copyright of the country you live in, which is often determined by death year + x years (most often 70 years). But you knew that already. :wink:

So yeah, I think you're good to go with any of these three. :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
tomasnavarrocr

Post by tomasnavarrocr »

I live in Costa Rica and al the copy right are in 70 years so, is there any wiki I can read to start my proyect?

I am really exite to start.

Regards
Tomás Navarro.
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

tomasnavarrocr wrote: May 1st, 2021, 11:07 pm I live in Costa Rica and al the copy right are in 70 years so, is there any wiki I can read to start my proyect?

I am really exite to start.

Regards
Hola, Tomas. En el foro New Projects Launchpad hay un hilo (un stickie, fijo al principio del foro) que dice Want to Start a Solo Recording? Tiene bastante informacion y enlaces. Hay una buena cantidad de cosas que leer. Siento no poder ayudarte en mas detalle porque no tengo experiencia en grabaciones ( me dedico a proof-listening).

Hay mucha informacion en Librivox, y al principio puede costar ubicarse. Para conseguir ayuda mas especifica te recomiendo postear en el foro de Help, ya que en este en que estamos se discuten solamente sugerencias de libros.

Se que a los lectores que comienzan Librivox les sugiere empezar por pedir una seccion en un proyecto collaborativo, para ir obteniendo experiencia y calculando los tiempos, etc. Yo hago proof- listening en los proyectos que salen aqui al pie, y si te interesa, puedes ir a solicitar una seccion. Los hilos correspondientes estan en el foro de Readers Wanted: Languages other than English :D

Felices grabaciones!

Saludos cordiales
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
TreeHugger

Post by TreeHugger »

I suggest a book in Arabicو Ahaadith: By Taha Hussain, أحاديث بقلم طه حسين
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

TreeHugger wrote: September 4th, 2021, 2:50 am I suggest a book in Arabicو Ahaadith: By Taha Hussain, أحاديث بقلم طه حسين
This book appears to be copyrighted. We can only record works that do not have copyright.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TreeHugger

Post by TreeHugger »

Interesting. How would I figure out if the book is copyrighted or not, please?