Suggestions re reading a specialty dictionary please

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi » June 29th, 2020, 8:53 am

Greetings!

For some time I've been interested in reading this: https://archive.org/details/saintlywomen01dunbuoft/page/n5/mode/2up

But I've had two major questions:

First, may I set this up as "Selections from A Dictionary of Saintly Women," as there are many parts that would have to be omitted (lists of abbreviations, notes and foreign (that is, not English) language quotes" ? Also, I would plan to read only those entries of women born before 1050. This is assuming I were recording as a soloist. If someone set this up as a group project, I would gladly participate as a reader.

Second, there are many people and place names of foreign origin, which I would have to read with the simplest pronunciation. I can get by with a bit of Greek, and my French-speaking roommate might help me a very little, but I know I will make a mess of plenty of names.

So, those of you who have read or listened to material with a variety of difficult pronunciations, how have you handled that, or wish that others had? Thank you!
Peace be with you,
Sister

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 29th, 2020, 9:06 am

Reading a selection of the entries would be okay.

But while we allow omission of footnotes, appendices, etc. in works, it looks like the abbreviations and notes are included in the main text. I think that omitting them would run against our rule about not changing the text. :hmm: Other admins may think differently, though - it's something we'd have to thoroughly discuss and decide upon.
Hatfields & McCoys Sensationalist Account: An American Vendetta
Humor: Maxims of Methuselah about women

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 29th, 2020, 9:08 am

Your MC would have to agree with this, but I would suggest, as a possibility, your creating a collection of saintly women biographies that could span over a number of volumes. You could select for yourself the biographies which have no languages you do not speak or may not pronounce well, and allow others to do those that they can handle. I would certainly contribute some sections.

You would just have to decide if you wanted to identify which biographies are to be read---providing the links---or allow others to contribute their 'favorites.' The second option might be a bit difficult to track, however, unless you'd welcome repeats of the same saint.

What a wealth of material in this book you've found!

schrm

Post by schrm » June 30th, 2020, 2:35 am

while we have the thread with pronunciation help, and there are several automated and real person "spoken words" tools available...
i also do think, that a pronunciation "in your language" makes sense.
your listeners will be english speaking, mainly, and it's better to read it for their understanding, than for eg germans (who will admire you! because to my experience, english speak german way better than germans english)
i try to follow this maxime in lay down your arms. it was translated with french quotes, german names and places, i think latin and so on.
i don't speak french, the author wanted to express anti war reasons with this fictional biography (and gender topics) - and this aim has the highest priority for this project.
also, some of the german names are hard to pronounce even in german. and "the flow of the readings" can make a big difference...
also, some critics will never accept readers from a another dialect-region, anyways..

on the other hand, kitty helps me with french words, kevin helped with an english word i failed to pronounce for weeks..
so, maybe it runs against your motivation and spirits.
and against the tendencies on librivox.

for the sake of "working with the material", i would plead for googling and reading abbreviations, or reading the letters of the abbreviations.
excerpts - maybe - will work, but i wouldn't have a good feeling with omitting parts of the text.

as kevin said, a collection or even a collection series could be a good thing!
wether solo or group... is your decision.

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!

en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe

de: sammlung prosa, hoffmann: sommerfrische, rousseau

Monaxi

Post by Monaxi » June 30th, 2020, 8:30 am

schrm, how are handling the French quotes? That's one of the biggest obstacles here. If I had a plan for those, I might record a few entries and post here with the text to show what I have in mind, what to include or not. Unfortunately, the author did not follow the French (or other language) quotes with an explanation in English. So, I don't even know what I'm missing.

If I could recruit my French-speaking roommate to join LV, I suppose she could record those, and we'd call it a duet.

Kevin, I'm not sure how a collection could be set up which would help me get around this. Anyway, I'll keep thinking about it.

Thank you all for your suggestions!
Peace be with you,
Sister

schrm

Post by schrm » June 30th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Monaxi wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 8:30 am
schrm, how are handling the French quotes? That's one of the biggest obstacles here. If I had a plan for those, I might record a few entries and post here with the text to show what I have in mind, what to include or not. Unfortunately, the author did not follow the French (or other language) quotes with an explanation in English. So, I don't even know what I'm missing.

If I could recruit my French-speaking roommate to join LV, I suppose she could record those, and we'd call it a duet.

Kevin, I'm not sure how a collection could be set up which would help me get around this. Anyway, I'll keep thinking about it.

Thank you all for your suggestions!
heyho,

i have asked kitty for help regarding the rousseau text. she records the words and i try to get the pronunciation right :-)

and in lay down your arms, as the dpl, too...
it's difficult to explain:
when i read or pl myself, i listen to the output of https://ttsreader.com/de/ or translate.google.com or ask in the pronunciation thread.
but in this project, as long as it sounds like something, which could be the words, i mark it pl ok.
i feel like with the german names: it's good, as long as english listeners get the contents and messages of the text in general. it is better, to not break the flow of the readers and the listening-experience. it is not important to speak french fluently, but to give the impression, that an english reader is reading some words in the foreign language and maybe, some people will understand it.
it's not important to be correct in every foreign language words pronounciation - with a maxime like that, we would never come to any results, anyways, because every village and every circle of friends has an own dialect.
in short: i try to follow a possible maxime of the author, not one of language teachers (i wouldn't be competent in this, too :oops: )
and spreading the word is something, which von suttner wanted for sure.
she got the nobel peace prize for this book and her lifetme work, and influenced the world - but couldn't stop the international tendencies which lead to ww1.
the peace-movement was her lifetime-project, and her last words: lay down your arms, tell it! tell it to many!

--> i have to say, it is not the same situation with these biographies in an encyclopedia . but i hope, you will find a solution! which suits YOUR needs and your sense of taste <--

regarding the collection: it is in the generator like any other solo or group project, and the rest you have to write in the launchpad post and/or speak about with your mc.
as the bc, you will make the rules (in coop with your mc in spe) and in this case, you will have some more liberty, eg regarding the chosen texts to read (instead of the whole book).

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!

en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe

de: sammlung prosa, hoffmann: sommerfrische, rousseau