Collection - Love Letters

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 3rd, 2019, 4:06 pm

I've actually started a collection before---it's on-going---but I no longer remember how it is done. Regardless, maybe I / we should hold off until other collections are completed. Or perhaps I can recommend this idea for a Coffee Break Collection.

My idea is to invite readers to contribute something about love letters, either the letter itself or a shorter story about a love letter or something of that kind.

As an example, I've found a lovely letter written by Lord Chesterfield written to an unknown lady in 1660. It remained in his letter case, of course, but it's lovely. It is headed with "To one who walked 4 whole days with mee in St Jeames Park and yet I never knew who shee was.'

Maybe the topic is best left for February, but I'm not really one to worry about the calendar anymore. I suppose because life is too short to wait.
E agora, José?

aaronblue342

Post by aaronblue342 » July 9th, 2019, 11:48 pm

KevinS wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 4:06 pm
I've actually started a collection before---it's on-going---but I no longer remember how it is done. Regardless, maybe I / we should hold off until other collections are completed. Or perhaps I can recommend this idea for a Coffee Break Collection.

My idea is to invite readers to contribute something about love letters, either the letter itself or a shorter story about a love letter or something of that kind.

As an example, I've found a lovely letter written by Lord Chesterfield written to an unknown lady in 1660. It remained in his letter case, of course, but it's lovely. It is headed with "To one who walked 4 whole days with mee in St Jeames Park and yet I never knew who shee was.'

Maybe the topic is best left for February, but I'm not really one to worry about the calendar anymore. I suppose because life is too short to wait.
I would love to read some ye olde love letter! If you can find the text of that one I'll read it as a small pilot?

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 10th, 2019, 8:06 am

Here is the text. It is difficult to find online, which is a problem for recording on LibriVox. (I think I have an acceptable source, however, if you really do wish to record it.)

To one who walked 4 whole nights with mee in St. Jeames Park, and yet I never knew who she was,

Madam,

Though I did never think it possible (at least for mee) to be in love with any person without seeing their face, or knowing who they were, yet you have convinced mee of that mistake; for the perfections of your shape, the beauty of your neck, the delicacy of your hands, the charms of an ad mirable voice, the pleasantness of your humour, and a grace that attends all your motions, have so captivated my sence, that I am forct to confess your victory, and declare I never yet found so absolute a conqueror, for my thoughts doe represent you as a deity that mankind ought to worship. But why—if your face be suitable to all the rest, (which I can hardly doubt of) doe you refuse to have it seen, and deny the king, the duke, and all the court, to know who it is they so much admire? or, how came I to be honoured four nights together with your company, which you seem to refuse all other men, and yet, at the same time, you protest I shall never know who you are; which is, in effect, to take away a man's hart, and never let him know who has it. Cer tainly this is a new piece of cruelty, that was never before known to your sex, and so malitious an invention must needs proseed from a very dan gerous person; but all this cannot hinder mee from being, my dear I know not who, Your most passionat, obedient Servant,

C.
E agora, José?

elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn » July 10th, 2019, 11:35 am

I stumbled across this today. I thought this would interest you, Kevin.

The Love Letters of Henry VIII to Anne Boleyn: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/32155

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 10th, 2019, 1:06 pm

elsieselwyn wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 11:35 am
I stumbled across this today. I thought this would interest you, Kevin.

The Love Letters of Henry VIII to Anne Boleyn: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/32155
Thank you. I can't wait to read them! (Or listen. I think someone read them for LibriVox!)
E agora, José?