H2 Zoom-tips & wrinkles

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Just piping in to say I don't think you'll regret getting an H2, Guero. I just got one myself and I have really enjoyed using it.
Laura
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

I cannot recommend the HS highly enough, Guero.

The downsides are it doesn't recharge it's own batteries and, if you have Vista, it won't like the memory card that comes bundled with it (although there's not much Vista does like, except hanging when you want to print something and you need to go somewhere).

But you can record anything anywhere. It doesn't pick up background noises that it oughtn't to, the fidelity is great and it's very simple to operate.

I use it directly with my PC feeding into audacity or somewhere else in the house and then transfer to the PC. Either way makes no difference, although there are cheaper things on the market if you have no intention of recording away from your PC.

Cheers,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
Guero

Post by Guero »

Thanks, Esther, Laura and Carl. I had wondered if I was making an impulsive purchase that I'd later regret. But, with everyone's positive feedback, I'm confident that won't be the case. :thumbs:

And yep, I do want to get away from the computer to record sometimes. There's no avoiding background noise where my computer is, so getting to a quieter place is key.
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

And I'm starting to really regret having gotten the H1 instead :evil:
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

neckertb wrote:And I'm starting to really regret having gotten the H1 instead :evil:

There is always NEXT Christmas. :wink:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

One last thing, Guero...

Check that the one you buy is suitable for your region. I think they have some technology built in that means certain features won't work if you buy one intended for, say, China and try to use it in North America.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
Guero

Post by Guero »

CarlManchester wrote:One last thing, Guero...

Check that the one you buy is suitable for your region. I think they have some technology built in that means certain features won't work if you buy one intended for, say, China and try to use it in North America.
Hmmm...I'll definitely check on that. Thanks!
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I love mine because without it (or something similar) I wouldn't be able to record. It's too noisy where our computer lives. [grin] I have a low volume with my raw recordings and find that I need a light noisecleaning after I normalize them. I have my H2 about 6-8 inches from my mouth because that's as close as I can comfortably get it, propped up on a box on the table where I sit to record. Perhaps my volume would be high enough not to need normalizing/NC if I could get it closer. It would be faster to use if it were plugged directly into the computer, because uploading to the hard drive, opening in Audacity, and conversion from stereo to mono (it doesn't record in mono by itself) all take some time. Other than that, I am very happy with it and love the sound quality! I have mine plugged into an electrical outlet, so I don't have to worry about battery life. Also I switched out its memory card for a larger one; once last year I wanted to record several chapters while I was traveling and the card it comes with holds only about 45 min worth of recording.
Laurie Anne
Guero

Post by Guero »

Thanks, Laurie Anne. I definitely have to figure out the right positioning of the device.

It came today and I spent most of the afternoon futzing with the settings, distance from my mouth, etc. It's a fun little gadget...and simple to use, once you figure out what options to focus on. I'm loving it so far. I've been using it so far connected to the USB port on my computer. I'll try computer-free this evening. :D
John
Guero

Post by Guero »

This device is fun! I have learned a couple things so far:

1. I have to have it fairly close to my mouth (10" or less) for it to sound good. If I have it further away, I have to turn the Recording Level all the way up to 127 and then do some major noise cleaning and, even after that, I sound like I'm far away. I don't see this as a problem with the product -- it makes perfect sense. But, I had hoped to be able to have the mic further away without a noticeable change to the sound. (I often record at work after hours. I like the idea of having the microphone placed a little less conspicuously so that if people drop by, they don't wonder what it is.)

2. Recording directly on the device (not connected via USB) works great, but it's a little disconcerting. I'm used to being able to (a) watch the wave lines in Audacity to see how the sound levels are while I'm recording, (b) get interrupted and quickly figure out where I left off by playing back the last bit in Audacity. I guess I'll just err on the side of caution by guessing where I left off then going a little further back.

Neither of these points has anything to do with the device itself. They're both adjustments to my own personal process that I'll have to make. The device itself is GREAT! I'm very very glad I bought it. :thumbs:
John
Guero

Post by Guero »

Oh...and I actually realize a few people mentioned needing to have it 6-10" from your mouth, and I'm thankful for the advice. I had hoped, though, that there was a way to place it further away. But, no, you all were right! Thanks. :mrgreen:
John
Guero

Post by Guero »

OK...here's a good tip I learned the hard way today:

If you replace the card in the device you will need to put the settings back to how you set them before. When you change the card, the settings appear to go back to the factory default. I guess the card is where it saves your setting changes.

Only a couple sections recorded on the wrong settings as a result. I guess it could have been worse. :shock: :P
John
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Wow this thread was on page 4!

Thanks for the tip Guero. Though I don't think I had this problem. <shrugs>

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw