Section 12:
The Interval by Vincent O'Sullivan

and

Section 13:
Dey Ain't No Ghosts by Ellis Parker Butler
You're assigned, thanks!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Chapter 8 has been uploaded to the Magic Window and is ready for PL on this Friday the 13th....

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/bestghoststories_08_various_128kb.mp3 (23:51)

Cheers,
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
AaronZ

Post by AaronZ »

Here is the recording for Section 13 (Dey Ain't No Ghosts by Ellis Parker Butler):

Duration: 38:35
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/bestghoststories_13_various_128kb.mp3

For ghosts I used a tremolo tone in my voice, and sometimes I would mix up ghost voices and living voices, and the text would make me say, "Dey ain no ghost," before correcting it.
I post video text versions with me reading live in the video at https://www.youtube.com/@AaronCZim
Of course, I also link back to the specific LibriVox.org pages to build momentum.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

AaronZ wrote: October 13th, 2023, 10:23 pm Here is the recording for Section 13 (Dey Ain't No Ghosts by Ellis Parker Butler):

For ghosts I used a tremolo tone in my voice, and sometimes I would mix up ghost voices and living voices, and the text would make me say, "Dey ain no ghost," before correcting it.
Thanks! You are ready for PL!
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Winnifred wrote: October 13th, 2023, 5:20 pm Chapter 8 has been uploaded to the Magic Window and is ready for PL on this Friday the 13th....

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/bestghoststories_08_various_128kb.mp3 (23:51)

Cheers,
This is PL OK! Thank you!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

flavo5000 wrote: October 14th, 2023, 7:54 am Section 1 is ready for PL as well!
Nicely read, as always. I have one note for you: At 4:51, I hear “The uncanny, the unhealthy—as in the matter of such writing, Poe—fascinates. But the text reads “The uncanny, the unhealthy—as in the master of such writing, Poe—fascinates. You might want to correct that, as the meaning is somewhat different.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

AaronZ wrote: October 13th, 2023, 10:23 pm Here is the recording for Section 13 (Dey Ain't No Ghosts by Ellis Parker Butler):

That must have been a tough one to read! I like your ghost voices.

I do have one correction for you: you’ve left out the disclaimer at the beginning of your recording. Your correct intro would be: “Section 13 of The Best Ghost Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. The Best Ghost Stories. Dey Ain't No Ghosts, by Ellis Parker Butler." Please replace what you have with the correct intro above and reupload.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Winnifred wrote: October 14th, 2023, 2:22 pm
Nicely read, as always. I have one note for you: At 4:51, I hear “The uncanny, the unhealthy—as in the matter of such writing, Poe—fascinates. But the text reads “The uncanny, the unhealthy—as in the master of such writing, Poe—fascinates. You might want to correct that, as the meaning is somewhat different.

Cheers,
Section 1 should be fixed now. Section 11 is ready for PL as well!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

flavo5000 wrote: October 14th, 2023, 3:13 pm
Winnifred wrote: October 14th, 2023, 2:22 pm

Cheers,
Section 1 should be fixed now. Section 11 is ready for PL as well!
Section 1 is PL ok. On to the next!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

flavo5000 wrote: October 14th, 2023, 3:13 pm Section 11 is ready for PL as well!
And Section 11 is PL OK. I confess myself a bit disappointed in the ending. All we learn of the "Damned Thing" is that it's an invisible colour. One would think there'd be more to it than that, given what it did to Morgan.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Marina47

Post by Marina47 »

After several years away I’m trying to restart and find my way around. Are there any more ghost stories than here or can I choose one? Any of the reader-chosen short stories that come to my mind have already been done so I’m just looking around for what is open. I can’t find Some Real American Ghosts in Gutenberg. Can I take The Damned Thing by Ambrose Bierce? What does PL OK mean in the Assigned column?
Marina47
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Marina47 wrote: October 15th, 2023, 10:24 am After several years away I’m trying to restart and find my way around. Are there any more ghost stories than here or can I choose one? Any of the reader-chosen short stories that come to my mind have already been done so I’m just looking around for what is open. I can’t find Some Real American Ghosts in Gutenberg. Can I take The Damned Thing by Ambrose Bierce? What does PL OK mean in the Assigned column?
Marina47
I would suggest reading through the first post of the thread carefully. Basically PL OK means that the story has been recorded and proof listened for this collection already. If you are wanting to claim a section, look for the ones listed as Open. If you look at the first post, it has a link to the source text that you should read from as well as the intro and outro format for the section and where to upload it.

Thanks!
AaronZ

Post by AaronZ »

Winnifred wrote: October 14th, 2023, 3:10 pm

That must have been a tough one to read! I like your ghost voices.

I do have one correction for you: you’ve left out the disclaimer at the beginning of your recording. Your correct intro would be: “Section 13 of The Best Ghost Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. The Best Ghost Stories. Dey Ain't No Ghosts, by Ellis Parker Butler." Please replace what you have with the correct intro above and reupload.

Thanks,
How embarrassing for me. Thanks for the save. :D

Duration: 38:55
I post video text versions with me reading live in the video at https://www.youtube.com/@AaronCZim
Of course, I also link back to the specific LibriVox.org pages to build momentum.