[FULL][Biography/Music]My Musical Life by Walter Damrosch - kit

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
mattcom2

Post by mattcom2 »

I can take on Section 1 / Chapter 1 if it would aid in getting this completed. But I'd step aside in an instant to make way for anyone with a thorough knowledge of the music, composers, etc.. Does the first section include only Chapter 1? Or are other elements needed to launch the book?

mattcom2
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

I'm very glad that mattcom2 has volunteered for section 1 and I will volunteer for section 15 so that we can finish the book.
Thanks!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mattcom2 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 12:42 pmI can take on Section 1 / Chapter 1 if it would aid in getting this completed. But I'd step aside in an instant to make way for anyone with a thorough knowledge of the music, composers, etc.. Does the first section include only Chapter 1? Or are other elements needed to launch the book?
hi again Matt :) yes section 1 is only chapter 1. I'm not sure what you mean by "other elements needed" :hmm:

I'll certainly sign you up, thank you for the support !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: May 7th, 2024, 5:42 pmI'm very glad that mattcom2 has volunteered for section 1 and I will volunteer for section 15 so that we can finish the book.
:clap: wohoo, thank you lkirk !! Now we can move to Readers Found 8-)

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Section 13 is ready for proof listening. Thank you.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_13_damrosch_128kb.mp3

janicwedge

Post by janicwedge »

Hello,
I apologize for the mistakes and poor quality of my previous recording of Damrosch Section 4. I have rerecorded it and hope I have resolved most of the difficulties you identify.
In editing, I use only voice normalization and clip fixing. Perhaps I also need to adjust the distance between my face and the recording device. I do get conflicting advice on when to use "chapter" or "section."
I must admit I am not sure how to measure the seconds before and after the reading. Is each mark .5 second?
Thank you so much for your tolerance and help,
janicwedge
Janet Wedge

\https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_04_damrosch_128kb.mp3 6.11MB
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: May 8th, 2024, 2:51 pmSection 13 is ready for proof listening. Thank you.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_13_damrosch_128kb.mp3
absolutely PL ok, thank you so much. Now I wonder what important item of clothing was stolen from this primadonna :lol: I am suspecting a bra :mrgreen: a funny anecdote.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

janicwedge wrote: May 8th, 2024, 4:10 pmI apologize for the mistakes and poor quality of my previous recording of Damrosch Section 4. I have rerecorded it and hope I have resolved most of the difficulties you identify.
In editing, I use only voice normalization and clip fixing. Perhaps I also need to adjust the distance between my face and the recording device.
this sound is definitely clearer and not clipped and distorted. It could benefit from a round of noise-cleaning but it is also fine as it is. I never use "voice normalization" or "clip fixing" so I cannot comment on that and whether maybe that was the reason for the distortion. I only apply gently noise cleaning and for my recordings that's usually enough to get rid of the background noise.
I do get conflicting advice on when to use "chapter" or "section."
each project may treat the intro disclaimer differently. Some use "chapter" others use "section". In order not to get confused, it's always best to just read the example from the first post of the project you are working with. Even after so many years, I still don't say it "by heart"; even though I could, but I read it off the example, so as to make sure it's the exact wording they want on that specific project.

So here in our case, we want "section number" to start the intro and then in the middle of intro, right before the title you say "chapter number" because we treat that as part of the title.

So to make it clearer, here is the entire wording for your section, notice the underlined "section" and "chapter":

"Section 4 of My Musical Life.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."

[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"My Musical Life, by Walter Damrosch.
Chapter 4. August Wilhelmj - Teresa Carreno"

I must admit I am not sure how to measure the seconds before and after the reading. Is each mark .5 second?
are you using audacity ? If so, you can magnify your audiowave-window. I usually magnify it so that the upper bar where you see the length of the file, reads out every second, that way you see very clearly when you have 5 seconds. So in your case, magnify so you can see in the top bar the numbers: 6:19 - 6:20 - 6:21 right at the end. It shows you that there are only about 3 seconds of silence (from a bit before 6 minutes 19 seconds to a bit after 6 minutes 21 seconds). Is that what you see in your upper bar as well ? If not, press the magnifying glass icon with the plus sign in the middle, until you see those numbers.
I have relistened to it all again, and still a few things missing, but at least you don't have to re-record from scratch this time, only add a few more paragraphs:

> at 0:27: "chapter 4" - here you say "section"

> at 2:46: after "another chapter" - there is a rustling noise which can be easily cut

> at 6:16: you still forgot to include the last part of the chapter. As I mentioned in my previous notes, the sub-chapter "The Music festival of 1881" belongs into this section. The last sentence of this section should be "Alas, the Volstead Law has ended all such simple and happy foregatherings and the soda-water counter with its horrible concoctions is but a poor substitute for the gentle and soothing beer of Pilsen and Munich."

> at the end: you have barely 3 seconds of silence instead of 5, add 2 more seconds

> oh and for convenience, could you always please state the length of the file when you post a link ? That way the MW can be updated correctly right away.

Thanks, you're doing fine by the way. The initial recordings always need to work out a few kinks, you will see, with each section it becomes more of a routine :) Your reading is very fine and easy to be understood so that is perfect for our projects. The "cosmetical" bits can be ironed out by and by.

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Thank you, I'm glad everything was OK! Yes, that was a funny anecdote and Damrosch was very delicate in his description of the incident which I assume involved a bra. Those students!
janicwedge

Post by janicwedge »

Hello,
Here is the complete recording of Section 4 of My Musical Life by Walter Damrosch. I hope I have addressed all of the issues you identified.
I can't thank you enough for your specific answers to my questions and concerns. You've been such a great help.
Would you let me know what analysis of your recording you use and what effects you find most helpful.
Thank you again.
janicwedge
Janet Wedge

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_04_damrosch_128kb.mp3 17.40
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

janicwedge wrote: May 9th, 2024, 2:22 pmHere is the complete recording of Section 4 of My Musical Life by Walter Damrosch. I hope I have addressed all of the issues you identified.
I can't thank you enough for your specific answers to my questions and concerns. You've been such a great help.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_04_damrosch_128kb.mp3 17.40
thank you, the recording is indeed complete here this time.

Though unfortunately, the new bits, starting from 6:05: from "replaced by dancing parquets" till the end, sound like it's again from the initial recording that was so distorted. What did you do different in this one ? :hmm:

Do you still happen to have the untreated original file for this last section ? If so, you could send it to me, and I'll se what I can do. I fear it's the "normalization" that you are doing. And maybe you are recording too loudly in the first place, so there is clipping, which distorts the sound. Are you very close to the microphone ? Do you have a naturally loud voice ?

But I listened to it all and there is only one bit to correct:

> at 17:33: "end of section 4" - here also you need to say "section" instead of "chapter". See it as the closing of the "section" we started the recording with. We are especially going with "section" in this project, because some chapters are split in two or three parts, and this would confuse the numbering.

(and yes, the end silence now is 5 seconds :thumbs: I guess setting the timeline bar to 1 second increments helped)
Would you let me know what analysis of your recording you use and what effects you find most helpful.
I only do basics. Only noise reduction and amplifying when needed. For my files that is enough to get rid of the background noise and amplify my naturally soft voice to the required standard of about 89 dB.

We're getting there, don't give up !

Thanks

Sonia
mattcom2

Post by mattcom2 »

Section 1, Chapter 1 My Musical Life, Walter Damrosch. runtime 21:18

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_1_damrosch_128kb.mp3

mattcom2
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mattcom2 wrote: May 12th, 2024, 11:35 pmSection 1, Chapter 1 My Musical Life, Walter Damrosch. runtime 21:18
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_1_damrosch_128kb.mp3
thank you, Matt, a great first section to start the project with. Your German is not bad :thumbs: All perfectly PL ok

Only careful with the filename, you forgot the leading 0, we need two digits as it's more than 10 sections. I will correct it in my folder now, since there were no other errors to correct, no need to reupload.

Sonia
mattcom2

Post by mattcom2 »

Danke sehr. Actually, my German is pretty fractured....remnants from classes 60-some years ago.
I listened to it in full again, and except for sounding a bit rushed, didn't hear any loud clanks.

mattcom2
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mattcom2 wrote: May 13th, 2024, 6:01 pmI listened to it in full again, and except for sounding a bit rushed, didn't hear any loud clanks.
:hmm: I didn't mention any clanks, what do you mean ?

Sonia