SOLO Little Johannes by Frederick van Eeden-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Chapter 5 Ready for PL! To my mind, this is starting to get a little bit darker...

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/littlejohannes_05_vaneeden_128kb.mp3 - 22:53
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Chapter 4 is PL OK. You're right, this is getting more darker, or more obvious about that darkness. It was treated a bit more obliquely in the earlier chapters, but that poor cockchafer... ufff.
eggs4ears wrote: May 1st, 2024, 5:54 am I'll correct Jataka - I picked on the error in the stress, but didn't notice I'd got the 't' and the 'k' the wrong way round!
No problem at all. It's not a word that comes across most people's radar! There's a really brief bit of info in the Merriam-Webster free entry:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Jataka
Etymology
Sanskrit jātaka, from jāta born, from janati he begets
That is, they are tales about incidents in the past lives (or births, existences) of the Buddha. But I don't know Sanskrit and the root relating to 'birth' is interesting but kind of academic compared to Germanic or Romance roots, so this is just one of those ones I had to memorise!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, and welcome back! Chapter 7 ready for PL. The poor chrysanthemums!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/littlejohannes_06_vaneeden_128kb.mp3 - 10:50

Three chapters in a week is pretty good going for this project, but now I need to record some more.
Newgatenovelist

Whoops, I think we've just missed each other!

I was about to PL the next chapter, but 5 is coming up just over 16 minutes for me (downloaded yesterday and today, same result). Any idea if some of it is floating in the ether?
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist wrote: May 9th, 2024, 6:01 am I was about to PL the next chapter, but 5 is coming up just over 16 minutes for me (downloaded yesterday and today, same result). Any idea if some of it is floating in the ether?
That's strange! 16.05 is the correct length and I have changed the MW accordingly. So no problem to carry on with the PL.

But 22:53 is a very specific kind of mistake to make, and there is no other file in this set that I could have copied it from. I wonder where it came from?
Newgatenovelist

Notes for chapter 5 below.

That was what I thought, too! It seemed such a precise run time that I thought it must have come from somewhere. Never mind, these things happen and we never know why...

I quite like the emptied ink pots and the night lights to read by. Midnight in a forest takes on a whole new aspect.

3.38-3.45, bottom half p 78
There he hung with flapping wings, struggling till his sharp clenched claws [heard jaws] were almost torn away.

11.40-11.44, last para p 84
...and I studied long and hard before I knew [heard know] what I know.
Minor change in meaning sort of in keeping with this slightly crochety old fellow. Depends if you’re getting the mic out for other stuff! This is one of those things that most people won’t notice, but you’ve also made corrections for less than this before now.

15.25-15.33, p 87 penultimate para
...and see how our good father draws off the white woollen [heard wooden] coverlets of dew from the sleeping meadows. Come.'
Newgatenovelist

Chapters 6 and 7 are PL OK!
eggs4ears wrote: May 9th, 2024, 5:31 am Three chapters in a week is pretty good going for this project, but now I need to record some more.
Three chapters in a week is great! I would like your speed...
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks! Corrections to Ch. 5 noted for later...

Section 00 ready for spot PL, and here is Chapter 8.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/littlejohannes_08_vaneeden_128kb.mp3 - 21:19
Newgatenovelist

0 and 8 are PL OK. Coming right along!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Chapter 5 is ready for spot PL!
Newgatenovelist

Aaaaaand it's spot PL OK!