[COMPLETE] Meno by Plato - phi

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kevinandmaeve

Post by kevinandmaeve »

Meno by Plato (428/427 BC–348/347 BC) . [Translated by Benjamin Jowett](15 April 1817 – 1 October 1893).

This project is complete. All audio files can be found at http://librivox.org/meno-by-plato-2/

Moving this to new projects as chiquito_crasto wishes to adopt it
Meno (Ancient Greek: Μένων) is a Socratic dialogue written by Plato. Written in the Socratic dialectic style, it attempts to determine the definition of virtue, or arete, meaning in this case virtue in general, rather than particular virtues, such as justice or temperance. The goal is a common definition that applies equally to all particular virtues. Socrates moves the discussion past the philosophical confusion, or aporia, created by Meno's paradox (aka the learner's paradox) with the introduction of new Platonic ideas: the theory of knowledge as recollection, anamnesis, and in the final lines a movement towards Platonic idealism.. (Introduction by Wikipedia)
  • Target completion date:20/06/2011 date
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1643 link
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Introduction of Meno. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [Kevin McNicholl and Maeve Devlin]"
    • Say:
      "Meno, by Plato. Translated by Benjamin Jowett. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Meno by Plato. Translated by Benjamin Jowett. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by Kevin McNicholl and Maeve Devlin"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by Kevin McNicholl and Maeve Devlin, Kalavrita, Greece"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Meno, by Plato. Translated by Benjamin Jowett."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    meno_0_plato.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: 00 - Introduction
    Artist: Plato
    Album: Meno
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: phi - philchenevert
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by kevinandmaeve on May 31st, 2011, 11:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
kevinandmaeve

Post by kevinandmaeve »

I shoulod have said- Benjamin Jowett lived from 15 April 1817 – 1 October 1893...
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

On the top right of your first post is an 'edit' button. Click it to edit the first post. 8-)

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kevinandmaeve

Post by kevinandmaeve »

Done! Thank you.
K
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hi, Kevin and Maeve, I can MC this for you. There are some things to think about before you get started...

First (housekeeping): here is the text link we'll need to use: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1643
This is so your PL'er and eventual listeners can choose the text version they prefer.

Second: It would be simpler if you each had your own forum registration. That's the conduit for catalog credit, and if either of you ever wants to record, PL, or BC a project by yourself as opposed to as half of kevin-and-maeve, you'll need a separate name to keep things straight for everyone. If one of you would like to create a separate forum registration now, you don't actually have to post using it -- just have it there and we can use it to get you in the catalog. If you know you will always work as a team here, then it's not such a big deal.

Third: A brief test recording as Esther mentioned in your introductions thread is a very, very, very, very good idea. Recording something short and sweet (like Weekly Poetry) to get yourself used to the recording/editing/Librivoxing process is also a very good idea before tackling an entire project, even a relatively short one like this.

Fourth: Meno (the dialogue) looks as though it will run over 72 min, which is our length limit for individual files (that's what will fit on audio CDs). When I set up your Magic Window, make sure you have accounted for splitting the dialogue into at least two files. I presume your three sections currently requested include the two introductory passages... let me know if that is not the case.

Fifth: File names must include the file number and have no capitals, so yours will be meno_0_plato.mp3 etc.

Finally, have lots of fun here! Please let me know if you run into any trouble or have any questions. Once you've got your test recording done (to work out any technical kinks), feel free to upload your first section to my Uploader folder as noted in the template (law - chocoholic). Once you've done that, I'll get your Magic Window ready for you.
Laurie Anne
kevinandmaeve

Post by kevinandmaeve »

Hi,
I have made the changes to the changes to the link on the above post and have updated the number of files required to 4, and changed the file name. I did the short test and am still waiting (after a few mins...) for the URL to appear. I take it you don't want me to post that URL here when it does appear. The test seemed ok on audacity, but it will have some outdoor noises that wont be on the real recording.

As for the joint login. I don't think that will be an issue as this really is most likely a one off. It might be a bit confusing as it is only me that will be reading the two introductions, but I really don't mind Maeve taking joint credit for that.

Thanks for your help
Kevin
kevinandmaeve

Post by kevinandmaeve »

..and the upload of the test has worked.
K
kevinandmaeve

Post by kevinandmaeve »

... and I have sent the first introduction file to you now! It is 33.27 mins long.
Thanks again.
Kevin
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Ah, you are an optimist. :lol: The idea of the test recording is to find out if all your technical settings are OK before you record an entire 30-min chapter. And you do need to post the link somewhere so that we will know about it.

However. :) I dug in the Uploader until I found both your test and your Introduction file, and I have checked them out (so no need to post the links for those two now). All tech settings are great except that we prefer files in mono and yours are in stereo. Luckily, this is an easy fix. (In Audacity, it's Tracks - Stereo to Mono.) There is a little background hiss, so you might want to do a touch of noisecleaning while you are in there converting to mono. It doesn't obscure your voice, so no need to get too worried about it -- and just a note: beta Audacity has very good noisecleaning ability, but the 1.2 version does NOT and will make your voice sound like it's coming from inside a tin can. So only use beta for noisecleaning (I use it for recording too) -- that's if Audacity is what you use in the first place, of course. It would be a good idea to wait until your file has been fully proof-listened to do the mono conversion, so that you can do any other edits at the same time.

I'll have your MW up and running shortly, and I will send you a PM with your login and instructions on how to edit it. Congratulations on your first recording! When you've converted the file to mono and done any other edits that turn up, just reupload it using the same file name. The Uploader will automatically rename the original, and the file link in the box will then go to the new one.

And by the way, your reading sounds great. :) We spent our honeymoon in Scotland and your accent reminds me of that. (Making an assumption of course... last time I told someone I liked her accent, I was off by an entire continent.)
Laurie Anne
kevinandmaeve

Post by kevinandmaeve »

You are off by a bit. We're at the other side of the Irish Sea, in Belfast. I'll make those changes as soon as I can.
Again, thanks for the help.
Kevin
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

My apologies -- I ought to know better by now than to guess!

Moving thread to the Solos forum now.
Laurie Anne
kevinandmaeve

Post by kevinandmaeve »

That's quite alright. Are we the first people from Ireland to do a recording? If so it would really please me.

I have uploaded the updated mono, hiss free file. I have named it meno_1_plato.mp3 as suggested.

Thanks
K
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks, Kevin, tech specs are all OK now! Only two very minor things for future recordings (this one is fine -- at least until it's proof-listened): your volume is just a hair low (the test recording was a little bit higher), so keep an eye on your input volume so that it doesn't drop any lower. The other is to keep an ear out for voice distortion with noisecleaning. Your background buzz cleaned out nicely but I think I hear a very minor difference in the sound of your voice. It's no problem as it is, and what YOU think of it is what matters (this being your recording); it's just something to be aware of in case you feel the urge to do heavier cleaning of future files.

There have been a few other readers from Ireland, but not nearly enough!
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hi, Kevin and Maeve, are you still working on this? Please check in once a month (even if you haven't got a new file to upload) so I'll know to keep this project active. Thanks!
Laurie Anne
kevinandmaeve

Post by kevinandmaeve »

Yes, we are still working on it. It's slow progress though. we should have something to show for ourselves very soon.
Thanks
K+M