[COMPLETE]The Mysteries of Paris, vol 1 by Eugène Sue-neb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

The Mysteries of Paris, Volume 1, by Eugène Sue (1804-1857).
This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-mysteries-of-paris-volume-1-by-eugene-sue/
The Mysteries of Paris (French: Les Mystères de Paris) is a novel by Eugène Sue which was published serially in Journal des débats from June 19, 1842 until October 15, 1843. Les Mystères de Paris singlehandedly increased the circulation of Journal des débats.
There has been lots of talk on the origins of the French novel of the 19th century: Stendhal, Balzac, Dumas, Gautier, Sand or Hugo. One often forgets Eugène Sue. Still, The Mysteries of Paris occupies a unique space in the birth of this literary genre: it entranced thousands of readers for more than a year (even illiterates who had episodes read to them) and was also a major work in the formation of a certain form of social consciousness. One often hears that the 1848 revolution was partly born in the pages of the Mysteries of Paris or, more appropriately, that the Mysteries of Paris helped create a climate which allowed the 1848 revolution to occur.
The hero of the novel is the mysterious and distinguished Rodolphe, who is really the Grand Duke of Gérolstein (a fictional country) but is disguised as a Parisian worker. Rodolphe can speak in argot, is extremely strong and a good fighter. Yet he also shows great compassion for the lower classes, good judgment, and a brilliant mind. He can navigate all layers of society in order to understand their problems, and to understand how the different social classes are linked.
Rodolphe is accompanied by his friends Sir Walter Murph, an Englishman, and David, a gifted black doctor, formerly a slave.
The first figures they meet are Le Chourineur and La Goualeuse. Rodolphe saves La Goualeuse from Le Chourineur's brutality, and saves Le Chourineur from himself, knowing that the man still has some good in him. La Goualeuse is a prostitute, and Le Chourineur is a former butcher who has served 15 years in prison for murder. Both characters are grateful for Rodolphe's assistance, as are many other characters in the novel (summary by Wikipedia)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is December 1st, 2011.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33800
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard

NOTE: This book is full of French names and street names. I will prepare a file with the correct pronunciation of those. Should you stumble upon one I forgot, let me know and I will add it. In case of doubt, feel free to pm me :D You're not expected to have a perfect pronunciation, this is only an offer to help should you need it!

The file can be found here. Words and names are recorded in the same order as the alphabetical list below.

Allée des Veuves
    Allée verte
    Boulevard des Invalides
    Bras-Rouge
    Chouette
    Chourineur
    Cocotte
    Ferrand
    Fleur-de-Marie
    Francois Germain
    Goualeuse
    Louve
    M. (= Monsieur)
    Mlle (= Mademoiselle)
    Mme (=Madame)
    M. Badinot
    Martial
    Monfaucon
    Morel
    Pipelet
    Polidori
    Rigolette
    Rue aux Fèves
    Rue Belle Chasse
    Rue de la Mortellerie
    Rue de la Vieille-Draperie
    Rue des Bourdonnais
    Rue du Roule
    Rue du sentier
    Rue du Temple
    Rue Marboeuf
    Rue Plumet
    Rue Saint-Eloi
    Tapis-Franc
    Tortillard
    [mw=edit me!]5385[/mw]
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Mysteries of Paris, Volume 1. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Mysteries of Paris, Volume 1, by Eugène Sue. [Chapter number, section title]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Mysteries of Paris, Volume 1, by Eugène Sue."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    mysteriesofparis_01_##_sue.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. mysteriesofparis_01_01_sue.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Title: ## - [Section title] (please copy paste from MW)
    Artist: Eugène Sue
    Album: The Mysteries of Paris, Volume 1
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.

• Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: neb - neckertb
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

A DPL would be welcome :D
(and readers too :wink:)
Nadine

Matthew Matusiewicz

Post by Matthew Matusiewicz »

Hello
I was wondering, :?: could I have the first Chapter-The Tapis -Franc?
Thanks
From Matthew

Post by neckertb »

It's yours, Marrhew, thanks :D
Nadine

neckertb

Post by neckertb »

We have moved to Readers Wanted :D
Nadine

Matthew Matusiewicz

Hi
I have a few questions
Do we have a DPL? I am not saying that i could be one, it is just that unless I am blind, or someone PM'd you, that it looks like there is no DPL.
Secendly, (Sorry I cannot spell) there are little numbers that frequently appear in the text, and then it shows us a refrence. Do the Readers have to read the numbers and the refrences?
Example: Come under the 'hanging glim' (4) there

(4) Under the lamp, called reverbere.
Thanks
From Matthew

Post by neckertb »

Matthew

No we don't have a DPL yet, but seeing that you're quite new here, I promise I'll listen to your recording as fast as possible so you can get feedback. Once there are a couple of recorded sections, I will advertise for a DPL.

As for the notes
(4) Under the lamp, called reverbere.
should be read
Note: Under the lamp, called reverbere; end of note.
So don't read the number, but do read them, they are quite interesting and explanatory in this case.

:D
Nadine

Matthew Matusiewicz

Thanks Nadine
I will record tomorrow
Hopefully
From Matthew

Dear Naidene,
Oh this is horrible :evil: As I was working on my chapter 1 day ago, Aduacity crashed and the project was deleated! I can not spell right now, please excuse that.
I am sorry,
I will work hard to get it back.
P.S What does ADV mean? I thought this was a group project.
From Matthew

Post by neckertb »

Oh man, I hate when this happens to me too! Did you move your files around? Audacity cannot handle that.

No problem, take your time :D

ADV is for adventure, and yes this is a group project (unless you'd want to read it all? :wink:)
Nadine

theresejo

Post by theresejo »

I would like to take Ch 2 and 3
Teresa :)
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Hello Teresa

Welcome to LV :D
Sections 2 and 3 will be yours as soon as you tell me which name you'd like to use for the catalogue. I also strongly recommend to submit a short test just to check your settings are OK :D Let me know when it has been approved!
Nadine

theresejo

Post by theresejo »

neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Lovely, Teresa :D
Settings all good and no plosives, it could just use a tiny bit amplification and noisecleaning (probably a light one. with low values).
Don't forget to tell me your catalogue name :D
Nadine

theresejo

Post by theresejo »

Oops... Catalog name, Teresa Dunn