[COMPLETE] King Arthur's Knights by Henry Gilbert - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Linda Ferguson

Post by Linda Ferguson »

King Arthur's Knights: The tales re-told for boys & girls by Henry Gilbert (1868–1937).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://archive.org/details/kingarthursknights_1208_librivox

This is an abandoned solo project opened up to the group. The BC is TriciaG.

NOTE: Because these sections are all quite long, I would prefer claimants NOT be new readers, but readers who know what they're in for in claiming a 10,000 word section. Please have completed at least one section (preferably something longer than 15 minutes) with a PL OK before claiming in this project.
This book is an attempt to tell some of the stories of King Arthur and his Knights in a way which will be interesting to every boy and girl who loves adventures. (Introduction by Henry Gilbert)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22396
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of King Arthur's Knights. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " King Arthur's Knights: The Tales Retold for Boys & Girls, by Henry Gilbert . [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of King Arthur's Knights: The Tales Retold for Boys & Girls , by Henry Gilbert . "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    kingarthursknights_##_gilbert.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. kingarthursknights_01_gilbert.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## (Just section number is sufficient; I'll fill in the rest at cataloging)
    Artist: Henry Gilbert
    Album: King Arthur's Knights: The Tales Retold for Boys & Girls

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: tg - TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Linda,

I'll MC this for you. The Magic Window is up.
I was able to find a copyright year and a birth year for the author, but no year of death.

Also one thing to note: I changed your file naming scheme slightly, to take out the author's first name. Only the last name is necessary. So now it reads: kingarthursknights_##_gilbert.mp3

This appears to be your first solo. As soloist you are your own BC. I will PM you login info and instructions for using the Magic Window shortly.
I filled in the first few title sections, to show the pattern that should be used.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

We'll hang out here for a few days to see if we can snag a DPL, and so people can see what is new. :-)

Have fun!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Linda Ferguson

Post by Linda Ferguson »

Hi Maria. Thanks for taking on my project and for making the ammendments. I look forward to starting my first solo. Cheers.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I can DPL, if you like :D (provided you don't have a super strong American accent that I cannot understand that is, but it has actually never happened so far :wink:)
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

I've added you as DPL, Nadine. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Moving to Going Solo!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Linda Ferguson

Post by Linda Ferguson »

Thanks for taking on my project Nadine. I am an Aussie. I like to think my accent is not that strong. Here in Oz it wouldn't be considered strong but I think all Aussies sound a little bit strange to others. I think you should be ok however. Thanks again.
Cheers Linda
Linda Ferguson

Post by Linda Ferguson »

Just touching base. I have been busy but I am still keen on this project so stay tuned!
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Hi Linda and Maria

I'm going to have to withdraw as DPL on this one, sorry. I've just got a bit too many things going on right now.
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

No problem, Nadine.

Linda - are you still planning on working on this? We haven't heard from you in while.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Linda,

Are you still planning on working on this? We have not heard from you in over two months.

Please note as stated in the first, that if we don't hear from you in three months, that the project may be marked as abandoned:

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Linda,

Still planning on working on this? I haven't heard from you in over two months. Please note if we haven't heard from you in three months, the project will be marked as abandoned.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Marking this as abandoned, removing myself as MC, and PM'ing the reader...
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm adopting this and opening it up as a group project.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

May I please have sections 4 and 9? I am a huge fan of the legends of King Arthur. I ought to let you know that if you do let me claim these section I won't be able to record them immediately, as I have several prior LV commitments, but I can definitely get them in before the two month deadline. If this is OK, I'd love to have them, and will likely come back asking for more when I've got 4 and 9 done.
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.