[RELIG]Life of Jesus Critically Examined, D.F. Strauss - ks

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

This project is complete. All associated files can be found on the catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-life-of-jesus-critically-examined-by-david-friedrich-strauss/

The Life of Jesus Critically Examined, by David Friedrich Strauss (January 27, 1808 – February 8, 1874).
Translated from the 4th German edition by George Eliot (22 November 1819 – 22 December 1880).
Strauss was an early pioneer in the ongoing 'Quest of the Historical Jesus' held amongst New Testament scholars, and his Life of Jesus is one of the few landmarks in the field. The first edition of Strauss' book was published in Germany in 1835 when he was only 27 years old, and which by 1840 had gone through four editions. He focused his attention on battling two theological fronts which were current at the time - the traditional Orthodox who believed the miracles in the Gospels were to be taken as literal, yet supernatural, history; and the Rationalists, who believed that the Gospel miracles were all true but could be explained by natural and purely physical causes. Strauss rejected both camps and, in a scrupulous and detailed historical analysis of the Gospels, concluded that the Gospels are historically unreliable, not because the Evangelists were deceptive, but because they were preachers who wrote their Gospels as convictions of Faith in a mythological framework. Strauss further argued that anything that can be known of the Historical Jesus is hopelessly buried under accretions of legend and myth.

The price that Strauss paid for publication was high – his Life of Jesus scandalized Europe, and caused a sensation rarely seen by philosophical or theological works. Dozens of books, mostly from Germany, were written in rebuttal. The Life of Jesus cost Strauss his post at Tübingen University, and ultimately his career. However, his argumentation proved too influential to be ignored. The school of Rationalism died in the 19th century, due in no small part to Strauss' criticism. The traditional Orthodox that Strauss criticized partly evolved into Fundamentalism in the early 20th century, and was in large part a reaction to the groundbreaking path started by Strauss and his revolutionary work.

Medical missionary Albert Schweitzer described Strauss' Life of Jesus as, "one of the most perfect things in the whole range of learned literature. In over fourteen hundred pages he has not a superfluous phrase; his analysis descends to the minutest details, but he does not lose his way among them; his style is simple and picturesque, sometimes ironical, but always dignified and distinguished". (Introduction by JoeD)
  • Target completion date: Dec 2012
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.archive.org/details/lifeofjesuscriti00straiala
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Special - Please PL along with the text and report any divergences from the text that significantly change the intended meaning.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)

===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    Soloist - please provide *all of* the following:
    [list]
    [*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Friedrich_Strauss
    [*]Link to translator on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Eliot
    [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 156
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1st German edition 1835, English translation from the 4th German edtion 1846.
    [*]Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is author's death + 50 or 70 years): 1874
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================ [/size]

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Part [number], Chapter [number], Section [number] of The Life of Jesus Critically Examined. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Say:
    "The Life of Jesus Critically Examined, by David Friedrich Strauss. Translated from the German by George Eliot. Section [number]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
"Part [number], Chapter [number], section [number] of The Life of Jesus Critically Examined by David Friedrich Strauss, translated by George Eliot. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
Section[number], [section title]

End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of section [number]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Life of Jesus Critically Examined, by David Friedrich Strauss. Translated from the fourth German edition by George Eliot. Recorded for Librivox by [my name and date]"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
[*]Example filename
lifeofjesuscriticallyexamined_###_strauss.mp3
[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Title: ### - [Section title]
Artist: David Friedrich Strauss
Album: The Life of Jesus Critically Examined
[*]Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: ks - gypsygirl
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]
Last edited by JoeD on January 27th, 2012, 2:46 pm, edited 29 times in total.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

OK, I am taking the plunge. I have been wanting to do this for a while, and I admit, the bulk of this book is a little intimidating, but it is like that mountain that dares me to climb it. Nearly 800 densely packed pages of reading. I read this book on my own about 3 years ago, and it took me about 2 months to get through. It is well written, and the English translation is superb. It requires attention and participation from the reader (and, I assume, listener), and a New Testament must be kept constantly on hand for reference - in other words, it is not an easy read. With that said, it is one of the most fascinating and powerful books I have ever read, and I do not mind reading it again. I am giving myself 2 years to read and record this thing.

:shock: :shock:

I am a couple weeks away from finishing my current solo book, after which time I will begin on this one. This book is a long term commitment, and I am asking for an MC and PL who do not mind sticking with me on this thing until the end.

There is a lengthy introduction by Prof Otto Pfleiderer that should be covered in a single 1 hour section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Pfleiderer

The book is divided into 152 good sized sections for recording - I think most all sections except 2 or 3 can be read in under 74 minutes, and some of the sections can be read in under 10 minutes.

There is a short 2 page prelude written entirely in Latin, except for the last sentence, which is Greek. It would be kind of neat if a Latin speaking Librivox volunteer can record that part, but I guess that is not necessary.

OK... wish me luck on this..!!
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I'll MC this for you, Joe. Back in a bit with the MW.
Karen S.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Alright. MW is up. One question, do the 156 sections you requested include the introductory materials, or do I need to add more sections for them?
Karen S.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

gypsygirl wrote:Alright. MW is up. One question, do the 156 sections you requested include the introductory materials, or do I need to add more sections for them?
WoW Karen, thank you so much for picking this up..!!

:shock: 156 sections... wow that is a lot of slots for me to fill.. :shock:

Anyway, yes, the 156 sections should cover the introductory material also. That is, if my calculations are right, that should do it. If I need more sections in the future, I will let you know. Thank you..!!
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

OK, I just tested out the ol' magic window by entering in a few section titles, and it all looks good to go..!! I cannot wait to start reading..!! Some of the sections, particularly the early and later ones will be very short, but I don't want to make them too long because most of the sections in the middle will be very long - nice to have a balance if you ask me.

I have two chapters to go in my current solo project, so I will finish that before I start on this. I am guessing by the end of September I can start cracking on this one.

OH - I have also decided to ignore the 2 page Latin prelude unless anybody out there can talk me into keeping it. OK, thanks again - see you in a couple of weeks..!!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

I can always read the Latin for you, if you really wish it to be read. :lol:

You made me curious, and I had to go see what it was. It's an interesting note by the author regarding the translation into English. Funnily enough, he seems not to know English at all (which would explain his expressing his gratefulness to the translator in Latin). I think sometimes we forget that English wasn't the lingua franca in the world back then.

;)

That looks like an interesting book, and I would be interested in PLing, if you don't have a PLer yet.
Leni
=================
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

Leni wrote:I can always read the Latin for you, if you really wish it to be read. :lol:

You made me curious, and I had to go see what it was. It's an interesting note by the author regarding the translation into English. Funnily enough, he seems not to know English at all (which would explain his expressing his gratefulness to the translator in Latin). I think sometimes we forget that English wasn't the lingua franca in the world back then.

;)

That looks like an interesting book, and I would be interested in PLing, if you don't have a PLer yet.
VERY INTERESTING, Leni, thank you for the information. I have read the entire book, and I was always curious what that Latin prologue was about. That also explains why that Latin prologue is not in the original German edition (I checked - good grief I love archive.org :D ). George Eliot aka Marian Evans was the translator into English.

I would somehow like to include that Latin prologue, especially if a portion is a personal gratitude to his English translator. Maybe I can include it in the same section as the preface? Not sure how I will break that up yet.

Also, I would be honored to have you PL this book!! Give me a few weeks to start up, as I want to finish my current solo book first. Thank You!!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, Joe

Not in a hurry here, take your time! :lol:

As to the Latin, yes, I think it could go in the same file as the prologue. I can record it, send it, and you paste it at the end of the section (or I can do it). That's how we did in Pascal's Pensées project, I recorded just the Latin parts and the reader added it to the sections.
Leni
=================
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

Leni wrote:Hi, Joe

Not in a hurry here, take your time! :lol:

As to the Latin, yes, I think it could go in the same file as the prologue. I can record it, send it, and you paste it at the end of the section (or I can do it). That's how we did in Pascal's Pensées project, I recorded just the Latin parts and the reader added it to the sections.
I think that would work best. I already have the preface recorded and if you can get the Latin prologue recorded, I can place them both in section 001. Just let me know where you upload it, or you can email it to me, or whatever. I have some time tomorrow, so I can spend a couple of hours recording and editing Professor Otto Pfleiderer's introduction to the book, and then bang! we have the first two sections down.

I am almost finished with my current solo book. As soon as that thing is knocked out, I will be recording more sections for this book.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, Joe

Sorry, had a busy week here. But I have a long holiday coming, so I think I will be able to get the Latin part recorded this weekend. I will upload it to my own folder, without noisecleaning and as a .wav, if that's ok with you, as it's done with Drama projects.
Leni
=================
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

Sorry, had a busy week here. But I have a long holiday coming, so I think I will be able to get the Latin part recorded this weekend. I will upload it to my own folder, without noisecleaning and as a .wav, if that's ok with you, as it's done with Drama projects.
Thanks Leni - a lot of unexpected stuff happening with me lately too!! I shall be submitting something to this book real soon.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

Leni, I just finished recording and editing both Otto Pfleiderer's introduction, and Strauss' preface, which combined is about 54 minutes long. There is then plenty of room to include your Latin recording onto the same recording. Just submit it here, and I can insert it into that recording - we can call that whole thing section 000, then go on from there..!! That will make things convenient, because the whole book is broken up into convenient sections too, which each should be long enough for an audio recording, and we can start that with section 001.

To be honest, I am not quite sure how things are done with Drama projects - but just let me know where to find it, or what I can do with it. Thanks..!!
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

section 001:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ks/lifeofjesuscriticallyexamined_001_strauss.mp3

4:18, 3.93Mb

There are several short sections like this in the book, but there are many very lengthy ones also. I prefer not to combine shorter sections into one long recording.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

JoeD wrote:section 001:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ks/lifeofjesuscriticallyexamined_001_strauss.mp3

4:18, 3.93Mb

There are several short sections like this in the book, but there are many very lengthy ones also. I prefer not to combine shorter sections into one long recording.
I have no problem with that. It's your solo. :)
Karen S.